Cutters Comeback Falls Just Short Against Auburn
Williamsport, Penn. - The Cutters battled their way back from an early 7-1 deficit to pull to within one run of the Auburn Doubledays but they couldn't find the equalizer in an 8-6 defeat on Friday night at BB&T Ballpark. Williamsport and Auburn ended up splitting the four-game series and also split the season series at 6-6.
LHP Gabriel Yanez (ND) was sensational for Williamsport (31-42) in 5.2 innings of relief work retiring 17 consecutive batters. The 20-year-old from Venezuela had the longest outing of the season for any Crosscutters pitcher while also racking up more consecutive outs in a single game than any hurler on the team.
Corbin Williams became the fifth Crossutter ever to record 30 stolen bases in a season and is in line to ecome the fifth in team history to win the league's stolen base crown as well.
Auburn (28-45) raced out to a 7-1 lead in the second inning against Spencer Van Scoyoc (L, 4-4) and then had to hold on from there.
Bryson Stott was 3-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI and two runs scored. Jake Holmes was 1-for-3 with 2 RBI including a sacrifice fly. Nate Fassnacht was 2-for-4 with an RBI as well.
The Crosscutters commence on their last series of the season with a Saturday home game against the State College Spikes (STL) at 7:05 p.m. with RHP Adam Leverett the probable starter.
AUB 8 7 1 (5)
WIL 6 9 0 (7)
W - Tyler Yankosky (2-3)
L - Spencer Van Scoyoc (4-4)
S - Trey Turner (2)
HR - AUB, Landerson Pena (3)
Crosscutters Record: 31-42
Next Home Game/Promotion: Saturday, August 30 vs. State College Spikes / Tyler's Amazing Balancing Act
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Staten Island's Late Comeback Falls Short as Hudson Valley Holds on to Win 6-5 - Staten Island Yankees
- Tigers Fall in Final Road Game in 2019 - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Aberdeen Walks off Series Finale with Brooklyn - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Surge Late to Topple Scrappers, 10-3 - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters Walkoff With 2-1 Home Finale Win - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spinners Late Rally Not Enough vs. ValleyCats Friday Night - Lowell Spinners
- What Can Brown Do for You - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Cyclones Drop Heartbreaker in Aberdeen - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Cutters Comeback Falls Just Short Against Auburn - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Tigers Add Outfielder from GCL Tigers West - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Robinson Cano in BKLYN Saturday - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spinners Announce 2020 Schedule - Lowell Spinners
- Renegades Release 2020 Schedule - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Doubledays Release 2020 Schedule - Auburn Doubledays
- Your First Look at 2020 Schedule - Brooklyn Cyclones
- New York-Penn League Announces 2020 Season Schedule - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Scrappers Schedule Set for 2020 Season - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Spikes Release 2020 Schedule, Season Seats Now on Sale - State College Spikes
- Cutters Release 2020 Schedule - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Fall, 7-1, to Crosscutters - Auburn Doubledays
- Post-Season Tickets on Sale September 3 - West Virginia Black Bears
- Sogard Socks Yanks - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Tigers Spilt Doubleheader with Vermont - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Vermont Splits With 3-2 Walkoff Win In Game Two - Vermont Lake Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.