Cyclones Drop Heartbreaker in Aberdeen
ABERDEEN, MD - Brett Baty drove in three runs, but the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, suffered a walk-off loss to the Aberdeen IronBirds 5-4 Friday night at Ripken Stadium in the series finale. With the defeat, the Cyclones are now in third place in the McNamara Division.
W: Strowd (2-0)
L: Mullenbach (1-5)
- Down 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth, Jaylen Ferguson homered and Andrew Dashbach drove in the winning run with an RBI single against Brooklyn's Matt Mullenbach to give Aberdeen a 5-4 victory.
- Jake Mangum's RBI single in the top of the fifth gave Brooklyn a 4-3 advantage.
- Trailing 2-0, Brett Baty cruised a three-run double in the left-center field gap, plating a trio of runs to give the Cyclones a 3-2 lead.
- Brooklyn reliever Andrew Edwards struck out a career-high nine batters, tossing 3.1 scoreless inning to preserve a 4-3 lead.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
- Brett Baty: 1-2, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 BB
- Jake Mangum: 1-3, RBI, BB, R
- Jose Peroza: 2-4
- Andrew Edwards: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K
NEWS & NOTES
- Brett Baty, the first round pick of the New York Mets, made his Brooklyn debut.
- At 40-32, Brooklyn enters the final three games of the season behind Hudson Valley and Aberdeen for third place.
- Andrew Edwards struck out nine batters, a season-high for relievers.
Cyclones vs. Staten Island Yankees
MCU Park - Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP Matthew Allan (first start) vs. LHP Alfredo Garcia (2-1, 2.25 ERA)
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Staten Island's Late Comeback Falls Short as Hudson Valley Holds on to Win 6-5 - Staten Island Yankees
- Tigers Fall in Final Road Game in 2019 - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Aberdeen Walks off Series Finale with Brooklyn - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Surge Late to Topple Scrappers, 10-3 - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters Walkoff With 2-1 Home Finale Win - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spinners Late Rally Not Enough vs. ValleyCats Friday Night - Lowell Spinners
- What Can Brown Do for You - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Cyclones Drop Heartbreaker in Aberdeen - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Cutters Comeback Falls Just Short Against Auburn - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Tigers Add Outfielder from GCL Tigers West - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Robinson Cano in BKLYN Saturday - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spinners Announce 2020 Schedule - Lowell Spinners
- Renegades Release 2020 Schedule - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Doubledays Release 2020 Schedule - Auburn Doubledays
- Your First Look at 2020 Schedule - Brooklyn Cyclones
- New York-Penn League Announces 2020 Season Schedule - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Scrappers Schedule Set for 2020 Season - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Spikes Release 2020 Schedule, Season Seats Now on Sale - State College Spikes
- Cutters Release 2020 Schedule - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Fall, 7-1, to Crosscutters - Auburn Doubledays
- Post-Season Tickets on Sale September 3 - West Virginia Black Bears
- Sogard Socks Yanks - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Tigers Spilt Doubleheader with Vermont - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Vermont Splits With 3-2 Walkoff Win In Game Two - Vermont Lake Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.