Spinners Late Rally Not Enough vs. ValleyCats Friday Night
LOWELL, MA - Going into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Lowell Spinners, proud affiliate of the 2018 World Champion Boston Red Sox and 2019 Stedler Division Champions, trailed by a score of 5-2.
After he fouled a pitch off to stay alive, Wil Dalton lined a double off the left field wall - scoring Alex Erro from first base. That's how the lead would stay as they fell by a final of 5-3 to the Tri-City ValleyCats, affiliate of the Houston Astros, on Friday night in the regular season home finale at LeLacheur Park.
Brock Bell got his first start for the Spinners (39-33) since being called up from the Gulf Coast League Red Sox. He was tagged with the loss, however, after going just 1.2 innings allowing two runs (both earned) on three hits. He also struck out one and walked two.
For the first five innings, the ValleyCats (29-42) held Lowell off the scoreboard both in terms of runs and with hits. After Rodani Baldwin to lead off the bottom of the fifth inning, Jaxx Groshans picked up the Spinners first hit with a line drive single to left field.
In the following frame, with Tri-City already up 5-0, Lowell finally got on the scoreboard when Cameron Cannon reached on a fielder's choice to Bryan Arias. Arias, instead, threw the ball past Nathan Perry at first base, scoring Wil Dalton from second base and advancing Cannon to second base.
2019 NYPL All-Star Joe Davis, however, kept the rally going with a double to deep left-center field that one-hopped the wall, cutting the lead to 5-2.
The game on Friday night was lackluster on for both sides defensively, as the teams combined for nine errors between them. Surprisingly, it was the ValleyCats who committed more with six on their ledger to the Spinners three.
Miguel Suero and Dylan Spacke were the ones that shined out of the bullpen as they tossed a combined four shutout innings, allowing just two hits between them. The duo also racked up six strikeouts and walked just one.
Tickets for the 2019 New York-Penn League playoffs are now on sale!
Playoff tickets options include a $20 All-You-Can-Eat ticket package. Box and Reserved seats will be lowered to $5, and Premium seats to $7. Students with a valid college ID can buy tickets for just $2, and the first 200 students through the gate will receive a swag bag.
The first game at LeLacheur Park will either be on Wednesday, September 4th, or on Thursday, September 5th, depending on seeding.
For more information, please visit: http://www.milb.com/lowell or call (978) 805-5124 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Staten Island's Late Comeback Falls Short as Hudson Valley Holds on to Win 6-5 - Staten Island Yankees
- Tigers Fall in Final Road Game in 2019 - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Aberdeen Walks off Series Finale with Brooklyn - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Surge Late to Topple Scrappers, 10-3 - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters Walkoff With 2-1 Home Finale Win - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spinners Late Rally Not Enough vs. ValleyCats Friday Night - Lowell Spinners
- What Can Brown Do for You - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Cyclones Drop Heartbreaker in Aberdeen - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Cutters Comeback Falls Just Short Against Auburn - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Tigers Add Outfielder from GCL Tigers West - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Robinson Cano in BKLYN Saturday - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Spinners Announce 2020 Schedule - Lowell Spinners
- Renegades Release 2020 Schedule - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Doubledays Release 2020 Schedule - Auburn Doubledays
- Your First Look at 2020 Schedule - Brooklyn Cyclones
- New York-Penn League Announces 2020 Season Schedule - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Scrappers Schedule Set for 2020 Season - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Spikes Release 2020 Schedule, Season Seats Now on Sale - State College Spikes
- Cutters Release 2020 Schedule - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Doubledays Fall, 7-1, to Crosscutters - Auburn Doubledays
- Post-Season Tickets on Sale September 3 - West Virginia Black Bears
- Sogard Socks Yanks - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Tigers Spilt Doubleheader with Vermont - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Vermont Splits With 3-2 Walkoff Win In Game Two - Vermont Lake Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.