Crunch Downed by Senators, 5-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Belleville Senators, 5-2, today at the CAA Arena.
The loss snaps a six-game points streak and moves the Crunch to 24-22-3-5 on the season and 1-3-0-0 in the six-game season series against the Senators.
Goaltender Scott Wedgewood stopped 21-of-26 in net for the Crunch. Joey Daccord turned aside 28-of-30 between the pipes for the Senators. Syracuse went 1-for-7 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch opened scoring with a power-play goal 33 seconds into the second period. Alex Barre-Boulet passed over to Ross Colton in the neutral zone. He sped down the left wing and fired a wrister from the circle. Cal Foote tallied the secondary assist.
The Senators responded with a power-play goal of their own at the 7:48 mark when Jordan Szwarz threw a feed in front of the crease for Josh Norris to finish off with a one-timer from the bottom of the right circle.
Belleville took the lead at 15:10 after Rudolfs Balcers scored with a wrister from the right wing. Just 36 seconds later, Morgan Klimchuk backhanded a quick pass down low for Joseph LaBate to send in.
Norris potted his second of the game 1:03 into the final frame to build a three-goal lead for the Senators. He came in down the right wing and netted a wrister short side.
The Crunch stole one back at 3:21. Daccord made the save on Colton's shot, but Barre-Boulet was in the slot to chip in the second chance. Mathieu Joseph earned a point on the play.
Just 17 seconds later, Belleville regained and held on to their three-goal lead when Alex Formenton got ahead of the defense and tucked the puck past Wedgewood as he cut in front.
The Crunch return home to host the Cleveland Monsters Friday at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Ross Colton has six points in his last six games (1g, 5a).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 17, 2020
- Senators Reassign Gendron to Reading - Belleville Senators
- Late Rally Earns Gulls a Point - San Diego Gulls
- Manitoba Downed by Milwaukee, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Hamilton Nets OT Winner as Stockton Tops San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Bridgeport's four-game unbeaten in regulation streak ends on Monday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Comeback Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Beat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Stay Hot In 5-2 Win Over Marlies - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Beat Crunch on Family Day - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Fend off Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Downed by Senators, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Three to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Flames Recall Glenn Gawdin; Place Derek Ryan on IR - Stockton Heat
- Dryden Hunt Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Dryden Hunt Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Dallas Stars Reassign Left Wing Jason Robertson to Texas - Texas Stars
- Heat Host Gulls in Monday Matinee - Stockton Heat
- Sabres Ink Taylor Leier to One-Year NHL Contract - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Defend the Ice Night Jersey Auction Open for Bidding Now Through February 27 - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Weekly, February 17-23 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Family Day Duel with the Devils - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks, Finger Lakes Donor Recovery Network Partner Again for Donate Life Night - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, February 17 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly: February 17, 2020 - Cleveland Monsters
- Game 49 Preview: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Snap Skid with 5-2 Win at Condors - San Jose Barracuda
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.