Cougars, Pitching Staff Remain Hot
Burlington, Iowa - The Kane County Cougars (12-7) pitching staff continued its dominance in a 4-0 over the Burlington Bees (12-7) on Tuesday night at Community Field. It was the pitching staff's third shutout in five games & the fifth game in a row Cougar starting pitching did not allow an earned run.
Justin Lewis (1-1) turned in his best outing of the year in his starting role. Over five innings, the right-hander locked down Burlington for no runs on four hits with four punch outs and no walks. In the first inning, Lewis allowed two singles and faced runners at first and second with one out. He induced a double play ball to get out of the jam. After that point, Lewis retired 12 of the next 14 batters he faced.
The Cougar offense backed Lewis with single runs in the third and fourth innings. Alex King's third homer of the year opened the scoring. Geraldo Perdomo led off the fourth with a triple. Two batters later, Alek Thomas grounded out to second base, scoring Perdomo to make it 2-0 Cougars.
Kenny Hernandez took over for Lewis on the mound in the sixth. For the second time on the night, the Bees had runners at first and second and one out, but did not score. Hernandez struck out Spencer Griffin with two aboard, then got Francisco Del Valle to pop out. Hernandez went six up, six down in the seventh and eighth innings.
In the top of the ninth, Alek Thomas singled and Eduardo Diaz walked to start the frame. With two outs, Eddie Hernandez drove both men home with a single to right field.
Chester Pimentel worked a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the Cougars. Robinson Pina (2-1) took the loss for the Bees, despite only allowing two runs on three hits with eight strikeouts.
The Cougars seek a series sweep on Wednesday morning. Cougars LHP Franklyn Soriano (2-0, 1.23) toes the rubber opposite of
Bees' RHP Cristopher Molina (0-0, 1.29). First pitch is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Cougars, Pitching Staff Remain Hot - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Leave Bases Loaded in 9th in 6-5 Loss to Lansing - South Bend Cubs
- 'Caps Dig Deep for 4-3 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Rally Again, But Nuts Have Last Laugh - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fight to the Finish - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Continue Military Appreciation Night in 2019 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Manzanero Blasts Three Home Runs as Dragons Win, 7-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Cedar Rapids Splits Tuesday Twin Bill - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kernels Hold Off Wisconsin To Earn Split in Tuesdayâ??s Twinbill - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Move Series Opener to Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Snappers Fall to LumberKings to Force Rubber Match - Beloit Snappers
- Seijas Fans Seven as Chiefs Shutout for First Time in 2019 - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Fall to TinCaps 8-7 on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hansen and Freure One-Hit Chiefs in 8-0 Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Reynolds Homers in Clinton Come from Behind Win - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Win a Slugfest to Even Series - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Wins Game One and Holds Cedar Rapids to One Hit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Homestand Preview for April 25-28 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RHP Riley Cabral transferred from extended spring training to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 23 vs. Bowling Green (Game 18) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Run Eighth Sinks LumberKings - Clinton LumberKings
- Kane County Takes First Game of Series over Bees, 4-1 - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Mounts 8th Inning Comeback to Defeat Clinton - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Announce New Classroom Appreciation Grant, Improvements to Reading Club Program
- Kane County Cougars Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Cougars Announce Winter Coat and Boot Drive Begins December 2
- Cougars Announce New Military Partnership with Folds of Honor
- Ballpark Digest Honors Cougars for Commitment to Charity