Comets Make AHL History with Victory over Checkers
Utica, NY - The Utica Comets entered the Adirondack Bank Center with a chance to make history should they win their 12th straight game but standing in their way were the 2019 Calder Cup Champion Charlotte Checkers. Despite going down early in the contest, the Comets managed to have a second period explosion of goals and rewrote the history books with a 4-1 victory.
The Checkers jumped out to an early lead in the first period, scoring less than two minutes into the game. Checkers forward Max McCormick was in the right place at the right time as he redirected a point shot past Comets' goaltender Nico Daws. Both teams traded chances for the remainder of the period, but neither were able to find the back of the net. The Comets registered 10 shots on net, compared to eight from the Checkers.
The Comets opened the second period with a series of great scoring chances and created some momentum that ultimately led to the game tying goal. A point shot from Robbie Russo popped out to forward Ryan Schmelzer who found the tape of Nolan Foote at the top of the crease for his second goal of the season at 6:09. The Comets continued putting on the pressure in the offensive zone and took their first lead of the game when forward Nate Schnarr deflected a shot from Frederik Gauthier at 15:13. Only minutes later, Schnarr found himself in a similar situation in front of the net. This time, it was a shot from defenseman Reilly Walsh that Schnarr was able to get a stick on for his second goal of the game at 18:19. The Comets went into the locker room after two periods holding a 3-1 lead and outshooting the Checkers 20-12.
The third period was filled with back-and-forth action. The Comets successfully killed off a Charlotte power play just a few minutes into the final frame and were able to keep the Checkers off the score board for the remainder of the period. Forward Aarne Talvitie scored an empty net goal with just over two minutes left in the game to add to the Comets lead.
With the 4-1 victory, the Utica Comets just etched their name into the AHL record books. Their impressive 12-0-0-0 start to the season is the best by any team since the AHL was founded in 1936.
The Comets head back to the Adirondack Bank Center tomorrow against the Rochester Americans for Rockin' the Rink Night. For ticket information, please visit www.uticacomets.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2021
- Reichel and Connolly Stay Hot as IceHogs Roll Past Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Silver Knights Defeat Eagles, 3-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Amerks Top Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Thompson Steals the Show in Henderson's 3-2 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Fall 5-4 in Overtime to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Wolves Ride Roller-Coaster in Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Game in Springfield Ends as 5-4 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Soar over Crunch in 5-1 Win on Top Gun Tribute Night - Cleveland Monsters
- Frost with Three Points in See-Saw Battle - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Providence Bruins Back in Win Column with 2-1 Overtime Win over Hartford Wolf Pack - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Storm Back from 3 Down to Top Penguins in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Make AHL History with Victory over Checkers - Utica Comets
- Second-Period Surge Sinks Checkers against Record-Setting Comets - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bruins 2-1 in Overtime - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Surge Sinks Checkers in Utica - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Monsters, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Groulx to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Embracing the Climb - Stockton Heat
- Series Preview vs. Colorado: November 19 & 20 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Barre-Boulet to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Sean Durzi Recalled by LA Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patera reassigned from Fort Wayne, two added on PTOs - Henderson Silver Knights
- Wolf Pack Look to Extend Winning Streak with Second Trip to Providence - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #11: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Monsters Recall Forward Jake Gaudet from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Pens Preview: November 19 at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs and Wolves Collide on Collin Delia Designer Hat Night and $2 Bud Light Friday at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Dispatch Milwaukee 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.