Stars Fall 5-4 in Overtime to Grand Rapids
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars dropped a back-and-forth, high-scoring game 5-4 to the Grand Rapids Griffins in overtime on Friday at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park.
Dominik Shine put the Griffins in front 10:29 into the first period when he snuck a shot past Colton Point. Shortly after, the Griffins added to their lead when Taro Hirose scored from a similar spot as Shine. The Stars answered on the power play late in the period. Riley Damiani drove the puck down the zone to Curtis McKenzie in front of the net, he passed it back to Joel L'Esperance who then sniped it past Calvin Pickard. At 18:15, the Griffins closed out the period with another goal, when Brian Lashoff snuck a shot through traffic.
Adam Scheel replaced Point in the net to start the second period. Following a Jerad Rosburg fight with Shine, Oskar Back found Ty Dellandrea in the Griffins zone and Dellandrea threw a puck off of a Griffins skate and in to cut the deficit to 3-2. Coming out of a brief four-on-four situation, the Stars tied the game early in a power play when Thomas Harley sniped a pass from the blue line down to L'Esperance and he knocked it home. Just 40 seconds after L'Esperance's second goal of the night, Jeremy Gregoire and Harley raced in a 2-on-1. Harley found Gregoire in front of the net and Gregoire jammed a puck past Pickard to give Texas the lead. With 2:57 left in the middle frame, the Griffins evened the score at 4-4 thanks to a goal from Tyler Spezia.
The teams skated through a scoreless third period into overtime with Texas outshooting Grand Rapids 27-23 in regulation. The Stars, playing in their third straight overtime game, couldn't find the net, as Turner Elson scored instead for the Griffins 1:30 into the extra period.
Texas picked up a point in the standings in the 5-4 overtime loss and will look to bounce back Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park in the final game of Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend.
Photo Credit: Andy Nietupski
Shots Goaltenders 3 Stars (Xerox Business Solutions Southwest)
TEX: 27 W: Calvin Pickard (GR) 1: Turner Elson (GR)
GR: 23 L: Adam Scheel (TEX) 2: Joel L'Esperance (TEX)
3: Tyler Spezia (GR)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2021
- Reichel and Connolly Stay Hot as IceHogs Roll Past Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Silver Knights Defeat Eagles, 3-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Amerks Top Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Thompson Steals the Show in Henderson's 3-2 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Fall 5-4 in Overtime to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Wolves Ride Roller-Coaster in Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Game in Springfield Ends as 5-4 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Soar over Crunch in 5-1 Win on Top Gun Tribute Night - Cleveland Monsters
- Frost with Three Points in See-Saw Battle - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Providence Bruins Back in Win Column with 2-1 Overtime Win over Hartford Wolf Pack - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Storm Back from 3 Down to Top Penguins in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Make AHL History with Victory over Checkers - Utica Comets
- Second-Period Surge Sinks Checkers against Record-Setting Comets - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bruins 2-1 in Overtime - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Surge Sinks Checkers in Utica - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Monsters, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Groulx to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Embracing the Climb - Stockton Heat
- Series Preview vs. Colorado: November 19 & 20 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Barre-Boulet to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Sean Durzi Recalled by LA Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patera reassigned from Fort Wayne, two added on PTOs - Henderson Silver Knights
- Wolf Pack Look to Extend Winning Streak with Second Trip to Providence - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #11: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Monsters Recall Forward Jake Gaudet from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Pens Preview: November 19 at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs and Wolves Collide on Collin Delia Designer Hat Night and $2 Bud Light Friday at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Dispatch Milwaukee 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.