Crunch Defeated by Monsters, 5-1
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch were defeated by the Cleveland Monsters, 5-1, tonight at the Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse.
The loss extends the winless streak to five games and moves the team to 5-6-2-1 on the season and 2-1-2-0 in the eight-game season series against the Monsters.
Max Lagace stopped 27-of-32 shots in net for the Crunch. Daniil Tarasov recorded the win turning aside 23-of-24 shots between the pipes for the Monsters. The Syracuse power play went 0-for-3, but the penalty kill was a perfect 4-for-4.
Cleveland was first on the board 4:27 into the game. Adam Helewka skated the puck into the zone down the left side on an odd-man rush before sending a feed over for Brendan Gaunce to score from the right circle. They doubled their lead 1:19 into the second period when Trey Fix-Wolansky sent home a wrister from the right faceoff dot.
The Crunch finally responded and stole one back halfway through the middle frame. Remi Elie dug the puck out from along the end boards and centered it for Gabe Fortier to chip in.
Cleveland regained their two-goal lead with 4:09 remaining in the second. Cole Cassels sped down the left side and beat Lagace during a 2-on-1.
The Monsters continued to build their lead on another odd-man rush at the 11:05 mark of the third period when Justin Scott carried the puck down the right side before firing it in. At 14:50, Gaunce wrapped around the back of the cage and jammed in his second of the night to lock in a win.
The Crunch return home to host the Belleville Senators on Wednesday.
Single game tickets and ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch).
Crunchables: The Crunch's 12-game points streak against the Monsters (8-0-3-1) dating back to the 2018-19 season came to an end tonight...Max Lagace returned from injury to start his first game since the season opener against Cleveland on Oct. 15.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 19, 2021
- Reichel and Connolly Stay Hot as IceHogs Roll Past Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Silver Knights Defeat Eagles, 3-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Amerks Top Phantoms in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Thompson Steals the Show in Henderson's 3-2 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Fall 5-4 in Overtime to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Wolves Ride Roller-Coaster in Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Game in Springfield Ends as 5-4 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Soar over Crunch in 5-1 Win on Top Gun Tribute Night - Cleveland Monsters
- Frost with Three Points in See-Saw Battle - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Providence Bruins Back in Win Column with 2-1 Overtime Win over Hartford Wolf Pack - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Storm Back from 3 Down to Top Penguins in Shootout - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Make AHL History with Victory over Checkers - Utica Comets
- Second-Period Surge Sinks Checkers against Record-Setting Comets - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Fall to Bruins 2-1 in Overtime - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Second-Period Surge Sinks Checkers in Utica - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Defeated by Monsters, 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Groulx to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Kevin Stenlund to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Embracing the Climb - Stockton Heat
- Series Preview vs. Colorado: November 19 & 20 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Barre-Boulet to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Sean Durzi Recalled by LA Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patera reassigned from Fort Wayne, two added on PTOs - Henderson Silver Knights
- Wolf Pack Look to Extend Winning Streak with Second Trip to Providence - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game #11: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Monsters Recall Forward Jake Gaudet from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Pens Preview: November 19 at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs and Wolves Collide on Collin Delia Designer Hat Night and $2 Bud Light Friday at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Dispatch Milwaukee 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.