Colorado Completes Epic Rally to Defeat Condors, 5-4 in OT
BAKERSFIELD, CA. - The Colorado Eagles scored five unanswered goals, including three in the third period, to erase a 4-0 deficit and defeat the Bakersfield Condors 5-4 in overtime on Saturday. Forward A.J. Greer led the way with two goals and two assists, as Julien Nantel, Shane Bowers and Kevin Connauton also had multi-point performances. Colorado finished the night going 2-for-6 on the power play, as goaltender Adam Werner earned the win in net by making 21 saves on 24 shots.
Bakersfield would strike early and often in the first period, as forward Anthony Peluso would finish off a 2-on-1 rush with a shot from the right-wing circle that would light the lamp and give the Condors a 1-0 edge just 1:55 into the contest.
The advantage would grow when forward Luke Esposito fired a wrister from the top of the right-wing circle that would beat Werner and push Bakersfield's lead to 2-0 at the 12:13 mark of the opening frame.
The Condors would cap off the opening 20 minutes when forward Jakob Stukel backhanded the puck from behind the net and off of an Eagles skater, sending it into the cage. The goal extended Bakersfield's advantage to 3-0 with 4:28 remaining in the period. The Condors would carry that three-goal lead into the first intermission.
Both teams would exchange chances in the second period, but a power play for Bakersfield would build upon the home team's advantage when defenseman Joel Persson buried a wrister from the top of the left-wing circle to put the Condors up 4-0 at the 16:46 mark of the middle frame.
Minutes later, Colorado would find itself on a 5-on-3 power play and Greer would capitalize when he bashed a shot from the low slot into the back of the net to trim the deficit to 4-1 with 13 seconds remaining in the second stanza.
The comeback would shift into overdrive in the third period, as forward Ryan Wagner snapped home a shot from the left-wing circle on the power play to slice the Condors lead to 4-2 at the 6:42 mark of the period. Less than two minutes later, Bowers would slide the puck cross-slot and Nantel would slam it home to cut the deficit to 4-3 with 11:39 left to play in the contest.
With the Eagles in full possession of momentum, Greer would skate through the right-wing circle before firing a wrister that would beat Skinner and tie the game 4-4 at the 16:48 mark of the third period.
Still deadlocked at 4-4, the two teams would head to sudden-death overtime. Midway through the extra session, forward Jayson Megna would fly through the left-wing circle before cutting to the slot and lighting the lamp to give Colorado the 5-4 win with 2:18 left in OT. Colorado finished the night by outshooting Bakersfield, 42-25.
The Eagles return to action when they host the Milwaukee Admirals on Saturday, February 29th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2020
- San Jose Tops Reign - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Roll Reign 5-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Top Griffins for Second Straight Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Get Another One-Goal Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Battle Back for Another Come-From-Behind Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Thunderbirds Rally Past Crunch, 3-2, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Trounce IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Win Fifth Consecutive Game, Top WBS Penguins, 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Fall in Final Game of Three-In-Three, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Special against Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ho-Sang scores lone goal on the power play Sunday afternoon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Kuemper from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flyers Recall Shayne Gostisbehere from Conditioning Loan - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ottawa Signs Labrie to Two-Way Deal - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Taylor Fedun from Texas - Texas Stars
- New Jersey Signs Melchiori to Two-Way Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: February 23 Chicago Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Belpedio, Mayhew from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Batherson, Norris, Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Doomed by Sluggish Start in San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Big Crowd Sees Gulls Win, 6-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Kuempers Conditioning Start Spoiled By Stockton's Special Teams - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Stunned in Overtime by Colorado, 5-4 - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Completes Epic Rally to Defeat Condors, 5-4 in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Fall to Monsters in Overtime - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction