Thunderbirds Rally Past Crunch, 3-2, in Overtime
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Springfield Thunderbirds rallied past the Syracuse Crunch, 3-2, in overtime tonight at the MassMutual Center.
Cal Foote and Taylor Raddysh built a two-goal lead for the Crunch before the Thunderbirds rallied back to tie the game and take the win in overtime. Syracuse picked up five of a possible six points during the three-in-three weekend and move to 26-22-4-5 on the season.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 33-of-36 shots in net for the Crunch. Philippe Desrosiers made 34 saves between the pipes for the Thunderbirds. Syracuse went 1-for-2 on the power play 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Crunch opened scoring with just three seconds remaining in the first period. Daniel Walcott forced a turnover along the left-wing boards and sent a slick centering pass for Foote to send home.
Syracuse doubled their lead with a power-play goal halfway through the middle frame. Boris Katchouk's pass ricocheted off a Springfield skater and into the left circle for Raddysh to fire in. Jimmy Huntington recorded the secondary helper.
The Thunderbirds finally responded 17:25 into the second period. Rodrigo Abols won the faceoff in the left circle and sent it back to Ethan Prow. He walked the blue line and sent in shot from the high slot.
Springfield evened the score to eventually force overtime with a power-play goal of their own 11:39 into the third period. Henrik Borgstrom potted a wrister from the top of the right circle while Martin was screened down low.
The Thunderbirds completed the comeback when Brady Keeper netted the game-winner 2:35 into the extra frame.
The Crunch return home to host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: The Crunch have points in nine of their last 10 games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2020
- San Jose Tops Reign - Ontario Reign
- Barracuda Roll Reign 5-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Sherwood - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Top Griffins for Second Straight Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Get Another One-Goal Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Battle Back for Another Come-From-Behind Win in OT - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Thunderbirds Rally Past Crunch, 3-2, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Trounce IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Win Fifth Consecutive Game, Top WBS Penguins, 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Fall in Final Game of Three-In-Three, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Special against Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ho-Sang scores lone goal on the power play Sunday afternoon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Recall Kuemper from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flyers Recall Shayne Gostisbehere from Conditioning Loan - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ottawa Signs Labrie to Two-Way Deal - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Taylor Fedun from Texas - Texas Stars
- New Jersey Signs Melchiori to Two-Way Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Game Preview: February 23 Chicago Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Belpedio, Mayhew from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Batherson, Norris, Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Doomed by Sluggish Start in San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Big Crowd Sees Gulls Win, 6-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Kuempers Conditioning Start Spoiled By Stockton's Special Teams - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Stunned in Overtime by Colorado, 5-4 - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Completes Epic Rally to Defeat Condors, 5-4 in OT - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Fall to Monsters in Overtime - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Daniel Walcott to One-Year Contract
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood