Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF
FT. LAUDERDALE, Florida - Atlanta United fell to Inter Miami CF 2-1 Wednesday night in South Florida. Eric Remedi scored his first club goal in league play, and despite out-shooting Miami and controlling possession for most of the night, Atlanta was unable to find an equalizer.
Inter Miami opened the scoring in the 28th minute, capitalizing off a counterattack from an Atlanta corner kick. Ezequiel Barco's corner was deflected toward midfield where Rodolfo Pizarro latched on to it and started a three-on-two break. He then played Lewis Morgan near the edge of the box, where the midfielder took a touch then shot for the far corner, barely beating an outstretched Brad Guzan.
Atlanta quickly equalized five minutes later from Remedi, who started the play near midfield. After playing to Emerson Hyndman, Remedi continued his run into the box where he would latch onto a cross from Jürgen Damm. Remedi's initial shot was blocked, but he quickly redirected the loose ball into the back of the net to make it 1-1.
Inter Miami was able to take the lead in the 38th minute with Morgan scoring again. Brek Shea played Ben Sweat on an overlap along the left wing, allowing Sweat to ultimately dribble into the box. There, he played Morgan right in front of the 18 and Morgan's left-footed shot deftly went into the upper left corner to give Miami the lead again.
Atlanta was awarded a penalty a few minutes later, and although Barco's initial attempt was saved, Cubo Torres put the ball in the back of the net to equalize. However, VAR ruled encroachment, citing that Torres had entered the box before Barco's attempt. Atlanta was allowed to re-take the penalty; however, Barco's attempt was saved by Luis Robles.
Atlanta United (3-5-2, 11 points) returns to action Saturday, Sept. 12 against Nashville SC (8:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Inter Miami CF 2, Atlanta United 1
Inter Miami CF Stadium
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Shots: 13-8 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 5-3 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 7-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 21-9 Inter Miami
Clearances: 23-7 Inter Miami
Offside: 2-1 Inter Miami
Possession: 65-35 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 89-76 Atlanta
MCF - Lewis Morgan (Rodolfo Pizarro) 28' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Eric Remedi 33' [HIGHLIGHT]
MCF - Lewis Morgan (Ben Sweat) 38' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Miles Robinson (yellow) 9'
MCF - Nicolas Figal (yellow) 40'
MCF - Leandro Gonzalez Pirez (yellow) 45+5'
MCF - Dylan Nealis (yellow) 75'
ATL - Jeff Larentowicz (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; George Bello, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes, Brooks Lennon; Eric Remedi (Jeff Larentowicz - 81'), Emerson Hyndman; Jon Gallagher (Adam Jahn - 75'), Ezequiel Barco, Jürgen Damm (Mattheus Rossetto - 63'), Erick "Cubo" Torres (Jake Mulraney - 80').
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Laurence Wyke, Fernando Meza, Manuel Castro, Tyler Wolff.
INTER MIAMI CF STARTING LINEUP
Luis Robles ©; Nicolas Figal (Dylan Nealis - HT), Andres Reyes, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Ben Sweat; Lewis Morgan (Wil Trapp - 75'), Victor Ulloa, Brek Shea (Juan Agudelo - 60'), Rodolfo Pizzaro, Jay Chapman (Blaise Matuidi - 60'); Robbie Robinson (Julian Carranza - 68')
Substitutes not used: John McCarthy, Roman Torres, Mikey Ambrose, Matias Pellegrini.
Robert Sibiga (referee), Adam Garner, (assistant), Brooke Mayo, (assistant), Natalie Simon (fourth), Sorin Stoica (VAR)
It was Eric Remedi's third goal for Atlanta United, but first in MLS Regular Season play. He had scored in the 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs against New York City FC and in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup against O
Jeff Larentowicz came on a second half substitute. It was his 427th MLS Regular Season match, second all-time by a field player in MLS history behind Kyle Beckerman (490).
Jon Gallagher made his first start with Atlanta United. It was his third MLS appearance.
Jürgen Damm made his first club start. It was his fourth MLS appearance.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Jackson Conway as Homegrown Player
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery