By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami
17 - Prolific
Entering Wednesday night, Orlando City ranked first in the entire Eastern Conference with 17 goals scored in regular season play (the Lions have tallied 23 total goals in 2020 if you include the MLS is Back Tournament). Six of those goals belong to Chris Mueller, who ranks third on the MLS scoring chart behind Diego Rossi and Gyasi Zardes. Nani and August MLS Player of the Month Daryl Dike have each netted three times (Nani has five goals in all competitions), Benji Michel has added two, and Mauricio Pereyra, JÃºnior Urso, and Tesho Akindele have all scored once each.
13 - Goals come from big chances
Orlando City has scored a lot in large part because it has created a lot. According to Opta, the Lions rank second in MLS with 24 big chances created, behind only Toronto FC (25). But big chances don't mean much if you don't convert them, and Orlando has been great at that as well-the Lions lead MLS with 13 goals scored from big chances and rank sixth in the league in conversion percentage.
311 - Where did the goals go?
As rumors swirl around the identity of Inter Miami's potential third Designated Player, it's not hard to see why they've centered around strikers. Since Rodolfo Pizarro scored what turned out to be the game-winning goal in the 49th minute against Orlando City on August 22, Miami has not scored a single goal, posting 0-0 draws against Atlanta and Nashville and a 1-0 loss to the Tennesseans across 311 minutes of play. Inter Miami has a chance to snap the streak on Wednesday night against Atlanta United before they face City on Saturday.
49,762 - Matuidi's experience
New Miami midfielder Blaise Matuidi, a World Cup winner with France, has been around the block. The box-to-box dynamo has featured in 652 career club games with 49,762 minutes under his belt entering Wednesday night, and that doesn't include the nearly 6,000 minutes he's played for the French national team across 84 appearances. Matuidi spent just under half of his career at Paris Saint-Germain, with other stops at Troyes, Saint-Ãtienne, and Juventus.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Exercises Options on 12 Players Following 2020 MLS Campaign
- Orlando City SC Forward Dom Dwyer to Enter Free Agency
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team