Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview
MINNESOTA UNITED FC vs. FC DALLAS
ALLIANZ FIELD | SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA
09.09.20 | MLS Week No. 9 | MLS Game No. 10
7:00 p.m. CT (FSN/MNUFC Radio on SKOR North)
MIN: 4-3-2 (1-1-0 at home)
FCD: 2-1-4 (0-0-2 on the road)
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. (Sept. 9, 2020) - Minnesota United's big 4-0 win over Real Salt Lake at Allianz Field - just their second game at home this season - was a classic "get right" game. After struggling to generate much in the way of offense and allowing breakdowns in the midfield that led to too many shots on goal against FC Dallas and Houston, the Loons found their groove once again in the second half, putting in a goal just about every 10 minutes to send the Claret-and-Cobalt packing. With new DP Emanuel Reynoso starting and second-year net minder Dayne St. Clair stepping in between the sticks, Minnesota United is banking on some youth and new blood to spark an upward trend against a Dallas side that beat them up in Frisco less than two weeks ago. With forward Luis Amarilla and midfielder Ethan Finlay - and possibly midfielder Osvaldo Alonso - joining the ranks of the long-term injured, there will be plenty of opportunities for players like Mason Toye and Hassani Dotson to pick up the torch and make their case for staying in the starting XI as MNUFC passes the halfway point of a very weird season with its eyes focused on playoff success.
Interviews with Adrian Heath, Jose Aja (Spanish) and Robin Lod and training b-roll.
ADRIAN HEATH ON THE DEBUTS OF REYNOSO AND ST. CLAIR
"Not surprised because we know what we've got. You don't have the career that [Reynoso] has had, played for the team's that he's played if you've not got quality. It's early days for him, he's got to get to know his teammates a lot more, his teammates have got to realize what he can and can't do - his range of passing, the fact that he can find them little holes in between. That's going to happen. And Dayne, it didn't surprise me. We know we've got a quality young goalkeeper. If he keeps listening and learning, listens to Stewart [Kerr], the goalkeeping coach, we feel as though we've got a really good goalkeeper on our hands."
JOSE AJA ON EARNING THE CLEAN SHEET
"The team, in this last match, did a great job. We needed to win, especially at home, we had to be strong. It was important to keep the shut-out. To not allow goals, for us, is super important because we know we could score a goal at any moment. That was fundamental in the game, stay calm and in the second half, we found the goals and we were able to get the win which was very important for us."
Since defeating Minnesota 3-1 at home, FC Dallas has gone on the road and eked out a draw with Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park. Marquee signing Franco Jara got his first MLS goal in that game and Luchi Gonzalez continued his trend of tweaking the formation for the opponent, shifting from the 4-3-3 he used against the Loons to a 4-2-3-1. Dallas' Fafa Picault was a major headache for MNUFC the last time out, opening the scoring and just generally running roughshod all over the defense. Picault, however, is now out with a hamstring injury and starting goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer joined him in the second half of the team's 1-1 draw at SKC. Head Coach Adrian Heath will be hoping that the edge and bite the defenders and midfield found against Real Salt Lake - winning 68 duels and nine tackles to go with eight interceptions - will provide a foundation against an FC Dallas side on an upward swing following a disappointing restart to the season after they were forced to withdraw from the MLS Is Back Tournament.
When last we left our storylines, the middle of the Western Conference table was packed with four teams sitting on 11 point. Minnesota's win over RSL kicked them down the table, but the Galaxy and Timbers both won their games and now MNUFC shares third place with LA and Portland (although technically at the top of those three because of goal differential). With SKC idle until its game against MNUFC on September 13, a win by the Loons coupled with a loss or draw for Seattle when they face San Jose could vault Minnesota into another first-place tie with Sporting - just where they were prior to the suspension of the season in March. If they can do it with a scoring margin of two goals or more, they'll be atop the table by goal differential.
FIRST TOUCHES: Molino's assist on Gasper's goal on Sunday was his second game-winning assist of the season. He is tied for the third most game-winning assists in the league.
Miller - hip (out for season)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.