Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually
Harrison, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have announced their annual 11 Days of Service community initiative will return in a virtual format this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The month-long, wide-variety of virtual community service events will kick-off today, September 9, with New York Red Bulls players visiting families living at the Ronald McDonald House for a virtual game night.
The Red Bulls created 11 Days of Service to run in conjunction with September 11 - the national day of service and remembrance. Rather than participate in just one day of service, Red Bulls players, coaches and front office staff will participate in several different virtual community activations as a tribute to both the victims and survivors from the attacks of September 11, 2001.
"Over the years, 11 Days of Service has evolved into our club's pillar initiative that has positively impacted the community," said Marc de Grandpre, General Manager, New York Red Bulls. "As we have already done successfully throughout the pandemic, we will pivot to a virtual plan so that our entire organization - players, coaches and front office staff - as well as our valued marketing partners, can take action in assisting our neighbors so that we never forget the families and heroes of the devastating events of 9/11."
September 9 - Ronald McDonald House Virtual Gamenight Experience
New York Red Bulls players, along with former player and current radio voice Steve Jolley, will meet with families living at the Ronald McDonald House in New York City via videoconference for virtual game night experience. The club will also be ordering dinner for the families to enjoy.
September 11 - Fire and Police Departments of Harrison, NJ
The club will provide catered lunch to thank both the Fire and Police departments of Harrison, NJ for their service. A custom-made 'thank you' banner will also be delivered on 9/11.
September 14 - Memorabilia auction to benefit NJ Pandemic Relief Fund and National Black Child Development Institute
Players to donate game-worn kits and career memorabilia for a DASH App auction to benefit NJ Pandemic Relief Fund and National Black Child Development Institute running Sept. 14-24.
September 29 - Newark Public School and Everfi Anti-Bullying
RBNY staff will engage with students from the Public Schools of Newark, NJ to discuss topics centered around leadership, courage and community.
September 30 - Jersey Cares Virtual Fitness Programs
RBNY staff will deliver interactive trivia workshops centering around healthier habits, exercise and healthy food choices with students.
September (TBD) - Fun Center Donated to Local Children's Hospital from Speedway
Speedway, Official Marketing Partner of the New York Red Bulls, and the club will make a monetary donation to the Starlight Children's Foundation in September, which will provide a Fun Center to youth at a local hospital as part of Speedway's official partnership with the Children's Miracle Health Network. With delivery set for early October, the Fun Center will aim to bring fun and entertainment to kids while they are getting the care they need.
Month-long initiatives in September include the following:
Jersey Cares Pen Pal Program
During a four-week program, RBNY staff will provide social interaction with senior citizens by becoming pen pals to residents currently under isolation.
Jersey Cares Senior Reader Series
During a three week program, RBNY staff will create audio recordings of short stories or poems and share with senior citizens.
Jersey Cares Voter Registration Kits
RBNY staff will research an assigned topic to create an information page to educate on the local voting process. Materials will assist voters with education, voter referendums, descriptions of public offices up for election, sample ballot, etc.
Virtual Hospital Visit at Hackensack Meridian Health's Joseph M. Sanzari Children's Hospital
Players will make virtual hospital visits to spread joy to children at Joseph M. Sanzari Children's Hospital of Hackensack Meridian Health, the Official Hometown Hospital of the New York Red Bulls. Along with these virtual visits, the New York Red Bulls will donate merchandise and small gifts to the patients at the hospital.
Virtual Get-Well Video Messages with Hospital for Special Surgery
Players will record get-well, words of encouragement and support video messages to patients at Hospital for Special Surgery, the Official Hospital of the New York Red Bulls. The New York Red Bulls will also donate merchandise and small gifts to patients at the hospital.
Jersey Cares Healthy Meal Delivery Program with partner Covanta
Along with Covanta, the Official Energy Partner of the New York Red Bulls, the club will deliver small meal boxes for 100 families at Camden Street Elementary School. Each box includes 5-6 fruits and vegetables, one quart of yogurt, one loaf of bread and a dozen eggs. Covanta will also be donating branded, insulated grocery tote bags to each family receiving the meal boxes.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Sign Under-20 USMNT Winger Cameron Harper
- New York Red Bulls Receive $50K in Allocation Money in Exchange for Homegrown Rights
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2021 Preseason Plans
- New York Red Bulls Add Youba Diarra on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg
- New York Red Bulls Add Carlos Coronel on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg