Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC forward Daryl Dike was voted the MLS Player of the Month by members of the media for the month of August of the 2020 MLS season.
Dike finished August with three goals and two assists in three matches played, as his five combined goals and assists tied for the most in the month. The No. 5 overall pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft, Dike has totaled three goals and three assists across five matches played this season. Orlando sits fourth in the Eastern Conference standings with 14 points (4-2-4 overall record).
Making his first career MLS regular season appearance and first career start, Dike scored a goal and added an assist in Orlando's 3-2 road loss at Inter Miami CF on Aug. 22. Dike scored his first career professional goal in the 18th minute to bring the match even at 1-1, finishing a left-footed shot from the right side of the box after his initial two shot attempts were saved and blocked. With Orlando trailing 3-1, Dike garnered his first career assist on Nani's 80th minute goal to bring the match within one.
The 20-year-old rookie guided Orlando to a 3-1 win over Nashville SC on Aug. 26 at Exploria Stadium with the first brace of his career. Dike gave Orlando a 2-1 lead in the 52nd minute when he finished a breakaway pass from Mauricio Pereyra with a right-footed shot into the top right corner (watch goal ). Orlando took a decisive 3-1 advantage in the 72nd minute on Dike's second goal of the match when he recovered a saved shot attempt and finished with a right-footed strike from close range.
Dike closed the month with another assist, this time on Chris Mueller's 35th minute score in Orlando's 3-1 victory over Atlanta United on Aug. 29 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. He currently sits tied for the team lead in assists with three on the year.
Orlando continues action on Saturday against Inter Miami CF at Exploria Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET, Fox 35 Plus).
MLS Player of the Month is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Exercises Options on 12 Players Following 2020 MLS Campaign
- Orlando City SC Forward Dom Dwyer to Enter Free Agency
- Orlando City SC Designated Player Mauricio Pereyra Agrees to Contract Extension
- Orlando City SC Executes Permanent Transfer for Antonio Carlos, Defender Signs New Contract
- Daryl Dike and Chris Mueller Receive International Call-Ups to U.S. Men's National Team