Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote"
Sacramento, CA - Today, the Sacramento Kings-led "Rally the Vote," a nonpartisan coalition with When We All Vote, RISE and professional sports franchises across the country committed to encouraging fans to register to vote and participate in elections, announced 17 new members. The effort now includes the following NBA, WNBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, and NWSL teams: Atlanta Dream, Brooklyn Nets, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Rapids, Connecticut Sun, Florida Panthers, Houston Dynamo and Dash, Las Vegas Aces, New York City FC, Oakland Athletics, Portland Timbers and Thorns FC, San Jose Earthquakes, and Utah Jazz, along with the National Hockey League and National Women's Soccer League offices. With these additions, the coalition's membership has grown to 35 teams ahead of November 3, more than tripling since debuting with nine teams in 2018.
"Sports have a unique role to play in bringing people together and encouraging civic engagement," said Sacramento Kings Chief Operating Officer Matina Kolokotronis. "The continued growth of Rally the Vote reflects the importance of promoting voter registration and broad commitment to encouraging fans to get in the game and make their voices heard by exercising their right to vote."
Last month, the Kings, in partnership with When We All Vote and RISE, relaunched Rally the Vote with 20 professional sports franchises. To help address the voter registration gap, the coalition has been designed to leverage team digital platforms to directly reach tens of millions of fans nationwide to promote civic participation by increasing the amount of new registrations and ensuring all of those who register to vote cast a ballot in the 2020 general election. When We All Vote and RISE, two national nonpartisan nonprofits focused year-round on raising public awareness about the importance of voting, are providing important resources to participating teams such as custom online voter register portals for fans and voter education and registration curriculum for players, employees and community partners.
"When We All Vote is on a mission to increase participation in every election and close the age and race voting gap. Rally the Vote and engaging with professional teams and athletes is critical to achieving that mission. They have the power to help everyone better understand the voting process and the importance of making their voices heard," said When We All Vote CEO Kyle Lierman.
"We are in at a historic moment in our country and the expansion of Rally the Vote demonstrates the sport community leading to unite us and inspire civic action," said RISE CEO Diahann Billings-Burford. "RISE educates and empowers the sports community to combat racism and equips athletes and teams with the tools to be leaders for increasing civic engagement in our country. Rally the Vote is sport being a vehicle for social justice and moving us closer towards achieving racial equity."
Previously announced 2020 Rally the Vote members include the Chicago Bulls, Chicago Sky, Chicago White Sox, Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers and Fever, Los Angeles Football Club, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx, New York Giants, Phoenix Mercury, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Storm, Washington Wizards and Mystics, Washington Spirit and Athletes Unlimited.
The coalition was originally launched by the Kings on September 25, 2018 (National Voter Registration Day) as the first time sports franchises from different leagues came together to provide fans a seamless way to register to vote. In 2018, the nine-team effort reached millions of people online and registered thousands of voters in the weeks leading up to the midterm elections.
For more information, to register to vote and take action visit rallythevote.org.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs