Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Soccer Club announced today the acquisition via loan of Venezuelan international striker Jhonder CÃ¡diz from Portuguese powerhouse S.L. Benfica. The 25-year old joins Nashville SC as the third designated player through June 30, 2021. The club has the option to exercise a permanent transfer at any point during the loan.
CÃ¡diz will travel to Nashville and be available for selection pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate, P-1 Visa, and completion of any mandatory quarantine period under local government and Major League Soccer health and safety protocol.
"I'm very excited to join Nashville SC and to be a part of this inaugural year for the club," said CÃ¡diz. "I'm incredibly motivated to showcase my game in Nashville and Major League Soccer and to help the club reach every goal in 2020 and beyond."
"Jhonder has been an outstanding striker at the highest of levels in both European and South American competitions, and we think his game is tailor-made for Major League Soccer," said Nashville SC General Manager Mike Jacobs. "The combination of his athleticism and clinical ability around the box made him heavily sought after. We feel fortunate to be able to add him to our club."
Since his professional debut with Deportivo Petare FC at age 16, which included an assist against Mineros de Guayana on April 29, 2012, CÃ¡diz has become a promising goal scorer with experience on the biggest stages. The center-forward has competed at the highest level in the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana before playing in Europe in France's Ligue 1 and the Portuguese Primera.
CÃ¡diz made his European debut with CF União Madeira in 2015, and since then he has been a mainstay in Portugal's top league of soccer. His highest statistical jump came in the 2018-2019 season where the Venezuelan scored a career-high 10 goals while adding two assists in 35 matches for Vitoria Setubal.
The young striker joined S.L. Benfica prior to the 2019 campaign before going on loan to Dijon FCO in Ligue 1, France's top division of soccer. While in France, CÃ¡diz became the fifth Venezuelan player to score in Ligue 1 over the past 50 seasons when he netted the winning brace in a 2-1 victory over 2020 UEFA Champions League Finalist Paris Saint German on Nov. 2, 2019.
At the international level, CÃ¡diz has made two appearances for the Venezuelan National Team. The striker's debut came at 23 years-old on Oct. 16, 2018 in a 2-0 victory over United Arab Emirates. His second international appearance came as a sub in the final 45 minutes of a 1-1 draw against Ecuador on June 2, 2019.
Nashville SC will close the first phase since returning to play on Aug. 12 by hosting Atlanta United FC at 7:30 p.m. CT on Sept. 12, presented by Vanderbilt Health, on MyTV30. Follow the Boys in Gold in action by visiting www.NashvilleSC.com and the club's social channels on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Transaction:â¯â¯Nashville SC acquires Jhonder CÃ¡diz on loan from Benfica as club's Designated Player through June 30, 2021
Full name: Jhonder Leonel CÃ¡diz FernÃ¡ndez
Birthdate:â¯ Jul 29, 1995
Last club: S.L. Benfica
How Acquired: Nashville SC acquires Jhonder CÃ¡diz on loan from S.L. Benfica as club's Designated Player through June 30, 2021
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves
- Nashville SC Proud and Determined After 2020 Season Ends in Columbus
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces off against Columbus Crew SC in Eastern Conference Semifinals