FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC
FRISCO, TX - FC Dallas has reached a transfer agreement with Boavista FC for Homegrown defender Reggie Cannon. Per team policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.
"This club has given me so many amazing memories," said Cannon. "Going from the Academy to the First Team, it's really one of the best experiences I could have ever imagined. I'm really excited for this opportunity. I thank Luchi Gonzalez, I thank the club, I thank the staff, Oscar Pareja for giving me that first chance to play - everyone who has given me the opportunity to get to the next level."
"We're so proud of what Reggie Cannon has accomplished during his FC Dallas career," said FC Dallas President Dan Hunt. "He's gone from Academy to starting for the first team and representing his country for the U.S. Men's National Team. Reggie is the epitome of what we're trying to accomplish here at FC Dallas."
Cannon, 22, signed with FC Dallas as the 18th Homegrown on Dec. 22, 2016 and appeared in 75 FC Dallas matches across all competitions, recording three goals and five assists. He made his MLS debut on Sept. 3, 2017 against the New York Red Bulls and had a breakthrough performance the following season where he appeared in 33 regular season matches, scored his first MLS goal and recorded three assists. In 2019 season, Cannon scored his first career playoff goal in the 39th minute of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup playoff match against Seattle Sounders FC on Oct. 19 at CenturyLink Field, starting Dallas' comeback in regulation before falling to the eventual 2019 MLS Cup winners, 4-3, in extra time.
"I coached Reggie in the Academy and coached him with the First Team," said FC Dallas head coach Luchi Gonzalez. "He's gone through our process and has earned this. It's a great move for him and for the club."
While with the FC Dallas Academy, Cannon won back-to-back U.S. Soccer Development Academy National Championships with the Under-16/17 Academy team during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. He was also part of the U-18/19 Academy team that won the 2017 Dallas Cup Gordon Jago Super Group, making them the only MLS Academy team to do so in Dallas Cup history.
Cannon has 11 appearances for the Stars and Stripes since his first U.S. Men's National Team call up in October 2018. He earned his first cap on Oct. 16, 2018, playing 84 minutes in an international friendly against Peru and recorded his first USMNT assist nearly a year later against Cuba on Oct. 11, 2019. Cannon made four appearances in the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, including the semifinal win versus Jamaica and the 1-0 loss to Mexico in the final.
Boavista FC is based in Porto, Portugal and competes in the Primeira Liga. The club is known as one of the oldest clubs in the country and has won one league title and five Portuguese cup titles.
Full Name: Reggie Cannon
DOB: June 11, 1998 (22)
Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois
Hometown: Grapevine, Texas
Transaction: FC Dallas transfers Reggie Cannon to Boavista FC
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2020
- FC Dallas Falls 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Molino Brace Propels Loons to 3-2 Victory over FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Bows to Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Late Goal Lifts Rapids to Draw with Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 2-1 at Home - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (2) - Montreal Impact (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. San Jose Earthquakes - September 10, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Colorado Rapids vs. Houston Dynamo - Colorado Rapids
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: the Third Meeting with Miami - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Adds League Pool Goalkeeper Charlie Lyon for Tonight's Road Match vs. Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Hall-Of-Famer Bocanegra Member of Rare Century Trifecta: MLS Week 11 News & Notes - MLS
- BBVA Stadium to Host Limited Number of Fans at Upcoming Home Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Announce 2020-21 Academy Roster Ahead of MLS NEXT Season - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Acquires Venezuelan International Jhonder Cadiz on Loan as Designated Player - Nashville SC
- Rapids Among 35 Professional Sports Teams Nationwide Supporting "Rally the Vote" - Colorado Rapids
- Eighth Annual "11 Days of Service" Honoring Victims and Survivors from Attacks of 9/11 Set to Impact Community Virtually - New York Red Bulls
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defender Reggie Cannon Joins Boavista FC - FC Dallas
- Justin Haak Joins Hartford Athletic on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- Orlando City SC Forward Daryl Dike Voted MLS Player of the Month - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Unveils the Community Kit for 2021 Season
- FC Dallas Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp Ahead of CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship
- Willie Nelson Concert at Toyota Stadium Moves to October 2, Along with National Soccer Hall of Fame Weekend
- FC Dallas Announces Jersey Rights Partnership with MTX Group