Americans Rebound, Beat Wichita 5-1
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, defeated the Wichita Thunder on Friday night by a 5-1 score, spoiling their home opener in front of a crowd of 1,413 at Intrust Bank Arena.
"It was a great bounce back win," said Americans Captain Spencer Asuchak. "The boys showed a lot of character. We have a good opportunity to turn it into a nice weekend with a win tomorrow."
Jesse Mychan scored two goals, while Joseph Garreffa scored a goal and added an assist to lead the charge for Allen. With those two goals, Jesse Mychan has seven for the year and leads the league in that category by two. Garreffa has a two-game point streak and points in four of his last five games.
"Tonight, was a completely different game from last night," said Americans Head Coach Steve Martinson. "We got off to a good start and our defense limited their chances."
Zach Sawchenko was outstanding in net allowing just one goal. Allen went 1 for 5 on the power play, while Wichita was 0 for 2.
With the win, the Americans improve to 5-2-0, with 10 points, which ties the Indy Fuel for the most in the league.
The same two teams battle it out tomorrow night at 7:05 pm from Wichita. The Americans next home game is January 15th when the team returns to Allen for a three-game weekend series against Wichita. Click HERE for tickets.
1. ALN - J. Mychan
2. ALN - J. Garreffa
3. ALN - J. McGrew
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2021
- Connolly Scores Twice, Swamp Rabbits Win over Rays 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Rally Late, Beat Wichita in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Fight Hard in Third Period, Lose 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Start 2021 with a Bang, Defeat Kansas City 4-3 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears win streak snapped in 3-0 road loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Outlast IceMen for First Win of 2021 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Robert's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Earn a Point in Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades Get Back at Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Defeats Wheeling with Dramatic Overtime Winner - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Sign Alan Lyszczarczyk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Game Preview January 2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Rapid City at Utah. 7:10 PM Face-Off - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Look for Series Win Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Look to Start off 2021 with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Utah Strikes Late on Power Play to Spoil New Year's Day for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 in New Year's Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Rebound, Beat Wichita 5-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.