Blades Get Back at Bears
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades (6-2-0-0) got back to their winning ways on Saturday night by besting the Orlando Solar Bears (4-2-0-0) 3-0 at Hertz Arena. Florida goaltender Cam Johnson earned his second shutout of the season in an inspiring 31-save performance, while forwards Myles Powell and Levko Koper both contributed a goal and an assist.
FIRST STAR: Cam Johnson- 31 saves, shutout
SECOND STAR: Myles Powell- one goal, one assist
THIRD STAR: Levko Koper- one goal, one assist
Levko Koper scored for the second consecutive game when he and Myles Powell went tic-tac-toe in front of Orlando's goaltender Michael Lackey in the first period (14:18). Koper's goal marks the eighth time in eight games to start the season that the Everblades have scored first.
The Everblades power play found paydirt in the middle of the second period when Michael Huntebrinker buried a Michael Downing rebound to put Florida up 2-0 (8:35). The goal was Hunterbrinker's league-leading third power-play tally of the season.
With 3:34 left in the second period, Myles Powell scored the prettiest Everblades goal of the season to date. Koper found Powell streaking across the blue line and then it was showtime. Powell dangled around Orlando's Paul Meyer, deked through Lackey, and tucked the puck inside the far post to give Florida a 3-0 lead.
Johnson was sensational in net for Florida. The Troy, Michigan native stopped all 17 shots that came his way in the third period, and helped hold Orlando scoreless on six power-play opportunities.
Florida and Orlando will tangle for the second time in as many days on Sunday, Jan. 3 at 3:00 p.m. at the Amway Center in Orlando.
The next home game for the Everblades comes this Wednesday, Jan. 6 against the Jacksonville Icemen at Hertz Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2021
- Connolly Scores Twice, Swamp Rabbits Win over Rays 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Rally Late, Beat Wichita in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Fight Hard in Third Period, Lose 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Start 2021 with a Bang, Defeat Kansas City 4-3 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears win streak snapped in 3-0 road loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Outlast IceMen for First Win of 2021 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Robert's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Earn a Point in Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades Get Back at Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Defeats Wheeling with Dramatic Overtime Winner - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Sign Alan Lyszczarczyk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Game Preview January 2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Rapid City at Utah. 7:10 PM Face-Off - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Look for Series Win Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Look to Start off 2021 with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Utah Strikes Late on Power Play to Spoil New Year's Day for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 in New Year's Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Rebound, Beat Wichita 5-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.