Indy Defeats Wheeling with Dramatic Overtime Winner
INDIANAPOLIS - Opening the 2021 calendar year, the Indy Fuel faced the Nailers for the fifth time in seven games. Both teams traded goals throughout the game, eventually leading to Indy's fourth overtime game of the season where Spencer Watson netted the winning goal.
Opening the scoring five minutes into the first period, Felix Robert picked up a loose puck in front of the net and beat Fuel goaltender Dan Bakala to give Wheeling a 1-0 lead. After multiple penalties and a fight between Scott Savage and Sean Josling, Wheeling would double their lead after Robert fired a wrist shot over the shoulder of Bakala.
Entering the second period with a two-goal deficit, the Fuel controlled the majority of the chances for the first half of the period. After a flurry of Fuel chances, Cliff Watson threw a puck on net that was deflected by Antoine Waked for Indy's first goal of the game. Four minutes later, Wheeling doubled their lead again when Felix Robert scored his third goal of the game putting a one-timer past Bakala.
Indy's Matt Marcinew responded with to the Wheeling goal putting home a rebound and putting the score at 3-2. The Marcinew goal would be negated after the Wheeling Nailers player left the penalty box early. Immediately following the review of Marcinew's goal, Scott Savage fired a wrist shot past Shane Starrett, making it 3-2. Holding on to momentum, Derek Barach fed Nic Pierog a cross-ice pass on a 2-on-1 to knot the game at three goals each.
It would only take :28 seconds for Indy to open the scoring in the third period when Peter Krieger beat Starrett with a wrist shot over the shoulder. Less than 10 seconds later, Wheeling tied the game again when Michael Joly jumped on an Indy turnover and beat Dan Bakala with a wraparound. After both teams traded chances throughout the remainder of the third period, neither team would score, sending the game to overtime.
Earning a power play late in the overtime period, Indy's Spencer Watson fired a slapshot from the point and beat Starrett to give Indy their sixth win of the season and third overtime win.
Various ticket options are now on sale for the Fuel's 7th season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2020-21 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2021
- Connolly Scores Twice, Swamp Rabbits Win over Rays 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Rally Late, Beat Wichita in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Fight Hard in Third Period, Lose 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Start 2021 with a Bang, Defeat Kansas City 4-3 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears win streak snapped in 3-0 road loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Outlast IceMen for First Win of 2021 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Robert's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Earn a Point in Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades Get Back at Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Defeats Wheeling with Dramatic Overtime Winner - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Sign Alan Lyszczarczyk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Game Preview January 2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Rapid City at Utah. 7:10 PM Face-Off - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Look for Series Win Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Look to Start off 2021 with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Utah Strikes Late on Power Play to Spoil New Year's Day for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 in New Year's Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Rebound, Beat Wichita 5-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.