Grizzlies Win 4-3 in New Year's Thriller
West Valley City, Utah - Ian Scheid scored a power play goal with 4:59 left in regulation to break the tie as the Utah Grizzlies defeated the Rapid City Rush 4-3 on New Year's Day at Maverik Center.
Charlie Gerard scored 1:20 into the game to give Utah a quick 1-0 lead. Rapid City tied up the game 13:06 into the first as Avery Peterson tied the game on assists by Brennan Saulnier and Garrett Klotz. The score was tied after 20 minutes of play with Rapid City outshooting Utah 7 to 6.
Peterson scored his 2nd of the night 2:05 into the second. Utah's Christian Horn tied it at 2 when he scored on a breakaway 10:20 into the second. It was Horn's first goal of the season. He was 2nd on the team with 5 shots on goal.
Jack Jenkins scored a shorthanded goal 4:50 into the third period to give the Grizzlies a 3-2 lead. Jenkins has 2 goals and 2 assists in the first 2 games this season. The Rush tied it up 35 seconds later as Tyler Coulter scored his 1st goal of the season. Coulter had 24 goals for Rapid City last season.
Scheid's power play goal with just under 5 minutes left was the deciding goal in the Utah win to go to 3-1 on the season. Rapid City has lost 5 in a row after winning the opener on December 11th.
Utah goaltender Peyton Jones stopped 23 of 26 in the win. Jones has started all 4 games for the Grizzlies. Rapid City's David Tendeck saved 21 of 25 in the loss. The rush outshot the Grizzlies 26 to 25.
The 3 game series concludes on Saturday night at 7:10 pm. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com with capacity limited to 1800 with masks required and social distancing.
1. Ian Scheid (Utah) - GWG with 4:59 left in the third period.
2. Jack Jenkins (Utah) - 1 goal.
3. Charlie Gerard (Utah) - 1 goal, 6 shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2021
- Connolly Scores Twice, Swamp Rabbits Win over Rays 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Rally Late, Beat Wichita in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Fight Hard in Third Period, Lose 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Start 2021 with a Bang, Defeat Kansas City 4-3 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears win streak snapped in 3-0 road loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Outlast IceMen for First Win of 2021 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Robert's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Earn a Point in Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades Get Back at Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Defeats Wheeling with Dramatic Overtime Winner - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Sign Alan Lyszczarczyk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Game Preview January 2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Rapid City at Utah. 7:10 PM Face-Off - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Americans Look for Series Win Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Look to Start off 2021 with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Utah Strikes Late on Power Play to Spoil New Year's Day for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 in New Year's Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Rebound, Beat Wichita 5-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.