Americans Rally Late, Beat Wichita in Overtime
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, defeated the Wichita Thunder in overtime on Saturday night to take two of three in the weekend series.
Tyler Sheehy scored his second of the season in overtime at the 5:28 mark to give the Americans a 4-3 win over the Wichita Thunder. Sheehy, who set up Joseph Garreffa's goal in the third period to tie the score, ended the game on a pass from Garreffa to win it.
"It was kind of a frustrating game", said Americans Head Coach Steve Martinson. "We had the 2-0 lead and had a lot of opportunities in the second period to put them away but couldn't get it done. But after our disappointing game at home on New Year's Eve, to come up here and get four points was big. We get some guys back in the lineup this week so that will help."
Tyler Sheehy is now second on the team in points with nine (2 goals and 7 assists). Sheehy extended his point streak to seven games.
Joseph Garreffa extended his point streak on Saturday night. He's had a goal and an assist in three straight games, and now leads the team in scoring with 10 points.
Corey Mackin has three goals in his last four games with a goal on Saturday night. Turner Ottenbreit scored his first of the season on an assist from Mackin in the opening period.
Allen outshot Wichita by one, 41 to 40 for the game. The Americans went 1 for 7 with the man advantage, while Wichita went 1 for 5.
The Americans will continue the road trip next Wednesday night in Rapid City. Allen remains tied for the most points in the league with both Florida and Indy who both won tonight.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 2, 2021
- Connolly Scores Twice, Swamp Rabbits Win over Rays 3-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Rally Late, Beat Wichita in Overtime - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Fight Hard in Third Period, Lose 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Start 2021 with a Bang, Defeat Kansas City 4-3 - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears win streak snapped in 3-0 road loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Outlast IceMen for First Win of 2021 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Robert's Hat Trick Helps Nailers Earn a Point in Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades Get Back at Bears - Florida Everblades
- Indy Defeats Wheeling with Dramatic Overtime Winner - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Sign Alan Lyszczarczyk - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Game Preview January 2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - January 2 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Rapid City at Utah. 7:10 PM Face-Off - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Look for Series Win Tonight in Wichita - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 2 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Look to Start off 2021 with a Win - Florida Everblades
- Utah Strikes Late on Power Play to Spoil New Year's Day for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 in New Year's Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Rebound, Beat Wichita 5-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.