Alberga's Goal Not Enough as Admirals Fall to Railers
WORCESTER, MA- Barry Almedia scored a goal and added two assists as the Worcester Railers topped the Norfolk Admirals Saturday Night at DCU Center. Dominic Alberga had the lone goal for Norfolk. With the loss, Norfolk now sits six points back of the fourth and final playoff spot in the south division.
Worcester would get on the board first with a goal from Tommy Kelly. The Admirals were unable to clear the puck out of their own zone which allowed Worcester to keep possession in the Norfolk end. Matthew Gaudreau played the pass into the middle of the ice where Kelly was able to wrist the shot past Ty Reichenbach to give Worcester a 1-0 lead at 5:36 of the first period.
The Railers struck once more less than a minute later from Bo Brauer. Almedia skated into the Norfolk zone along the right wall, Almedia dropped a pass back to Brauer in the right circle who was able to one-time the shot past Reichenbach to give Worcester a 2-0 lead at 6:17 of the third period.
Worcester extended it's lead to three with a goal from Ryan Hitchcock at 3:43 of the second period. The Admirals misplayed the puck at their own blue-line which allowed Worcester to skate into the Norfolk end on a two-on-one. Tyler Barnes played the puck cross-ice to Hitchcock in the left circle who was able to wrist a shot past the blocker of Reichenbach to give Worcester a 3-1 lead.
Norfolk cut into the Worcester lead with a short-handed goal from Captain Domenic Alberga. Ben Duffy skated into the Worcester zone on the left side. Duffy fed a pass towards the net that was redirected past Blake Wojtala to cut the Worcester lead to 3-1 at 14:07 of the second period. The goal for Alberga was his fourth short-handed goal of the year for the Admirals.
Worcester reclaimed their three-goal lead with a goal from Barry Almeida. Tyler Barnes skated into the left circle with the puck. Barnes fed a back-door pass to Almeida who was able to shoot the puck past the sprawled Reichenbach to give Worcester a 4-1 lead at 6:41 of the third period.
The Railers added two late third period goals and went on to win by a 6-2 final score. Blake Wojtala gets the win for Worcester, as he made 24 saves on 25 shots in relief of Evan Buitenhuis who left after making two saves on two shots in three minutes of action. Ty Reichenbach made 20 saves on 26 shots and takes the loss for Norfolk.
The Admirals continue the five-game road slate at Manchester tomorrow at 3:00 p.m.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, March 20, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, March 22, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 23 vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. St. Hatrick's, Mental Health Awareness Night, Postgame Skate
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 9, 2019
- Shake and Blake: Winiecki Aids 'Blades to Series Sweep of Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Crowned by Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Brown, Fuel Break Through Late to Secure Win in Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Power Play Strikes Send Fuel Past K-Wings 2-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Wallop Admirals 6-1 in a Wild Fight Filled Affair in Front of Big Crowd at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Defensive Effort Falls Short in Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Alberga's Goal Not Enough as Admirals Fall to Railers - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Earn Crucial Point vs. Conference-Leading Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- McAuley Scores Hat Trick to Lift Solar Bears to 4-2 Win over Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Knockout Thunder, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Fioretti's Overtime Winner Squishes Blueberries - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Extend Point Streak to Season High Seven Games - Maine Mariners
- Solar Bears Best the Growlers 4-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Stukel Loaned to AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Vallorani Helps Beast Blaze Past Royals - Brampton Beast
- Royals Score Last Three Goals in 5-3 Defeat at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Gun for Series Sweep of Gladiators - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 9 - ECHL
- Game Day: Fuel Make Final Trip of Season to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Pedersen Heads Back to Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals at Brampton to Continue Canadian Swing - Reading Royals
- Goaltender Callum Booth Returns to 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Late Power Play Dooms Steelheads in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Carlson Shuts out Grizzlies 3-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Powers Past Idaho, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Carlson Aces Grizzlies in Back to Back Games - Rapid City Rush
- Nine Unanswered Goals Leads to KC 9-3 Rout of Allen - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.