Solar Bears Best the Growlers 4-2
The Newfoundland Growlers rallied back hard in the third period, outshooting the opposition 14-4, came up short dropping a 4-2 decision to the Orlando Solar Bears Saturday night at Mile One Centre.
The Solar Bears struck first for the second night in a row, as Colby McAuley opened the scoring just 32 seconds in cutting across the crease and sliding it past Eamon McAdam on Orlando's first shot on goal. McAuley scored the lone first period goal in a chippy opening frame that saw each team take four penalties.
Derian Plouffe evened the game up at 2:45 into the middle frame after finishing off a nice rush by Adam Pardy and banging it past Ingram for his 12th of the season. Colby McAuley re-stored the Solar Bears lead at 11:10 of the second period picking up his second of the night for a 2-1 score.
Trevor Olson extended Orlando's lead to two with 6:17 remaining in the second after one-timing a cross-ice pass from Mitch Hults putting the visitors up 3-1, which they carried into the locker room after 40 minutes of play.
Josh Kestner looked to have closed to gap to one just under three minutes in, but was robbed in the slot by Ingram. Garrett Johnston brought the Growlers to within one with 5:52 to play, roofing his first as a Growler for a 3-2 game.
Colby McAuley sealed the deal and completed the hat trick with 4:14 remaining in the game for a 4-2 final score.
Announced attendance was 5,778
Garrett Johnston scored his first career ECHL goal
The three stars were 3 - B. Ferguson (NFL), 2 - M. Hults (ORL) and 1 - C. McAuley (ORL)
The Newfoundland Growlers wrap up their seven-game homestand with a 4 p.m. matinee game Sunday afternoon against the Orlando Solar Bears. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 9, 2019
- Shake and Blake: Winiecki Aids 'Blades to Series Sweep of Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Crowned by Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Brown, Fuel Break Through Late to Secure Win in Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Power Play Strikes Send Fuel Past K-Wings 2-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Wallop Admirals 6-1 in a Wild Fight Filled Affair in Front of Big Crowd at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Defensive Effort Falls Short in Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Alberga's Goal Not Enough as Admirals Fall to Railers - Norfolk Admirals
- Gladiators Earn Crucial Point vs. Conference-Leading Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- McAuley Scores Hat Trick to Lift Solar Bears to 4-2 Win over Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Monarchs Knockout Thunder, 3-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Fioretti's Overtime Winner Squishes Blueberries - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Extend Point Streak to Season High Seven Games - Maine Mariners
- Solar Bears Best the Growlers 4-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Stukel Loaned to AHL Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Vallorani Helps Beast Blaze Past Royals - Brampton Beast
- Royals Score Last Three Goals in 5-3 Defeat at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Growlers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Gun for Series Sweep of Gladiators - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 9 - ECHL
- Game Day: Fuel Make Final Trip of Season to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Pedersen Heads Back to Manitoba Moose - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Royals at Brampton to Continue Canadian Swing - Reading Royals
- Goaltender Callum Booth Returns to 'Blades - Florida Everblades
- Late Power Play Dooms Steelheads in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Carlson Shuts out Grizzlies 3-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Powers Past Idaho, 4-2 - Wichita Thunder
- Carlson Aces Grizzlies in Back to Back Games - Rapid City Rush
- Nine Unanswered Goals Leads to KC 9-3 Rout of Allen - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.