Wings See Win Streak Snapped on Sunday Afternoon
KALAMAZOO, MI. - The K-Wings had their five-game win streak snapped on Sunday afternoon in a fast and physical game, falling to the Cyclones 3-1.
Chris Collins picked up his league leading seventh short-handed point, as the K-Wings moved into a tie with Maine for the most short-handed goals in the ECHL. Justin Taylor had his five-game goal streak snapped in the loss.
In the final game of a three-in-three weekend at Wings Event Center, Cincinnati would jump out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Judd Peterson and Jesse Schultz.
Peterson got the 'Clones on the board with less than a minute left in the first period as he pulled the puck to the center of the ice before snapping a puck low to the near side past Jake Hildebrand. Cincinnati added to the lead just past the 12-minute mark of the second period as Jesse Schultz reversed a K-Wing scoring opportunity, to double the lead.
However, with the clock winding down in the 2nd period, Kalamazoo would get a shorthanded goal from Reid Gardiner to cut the Cyclones lead to 2-1. Gardiner caused a turnover at the blue-line, starting a two-on-none for the K-Wings. Chris Collins set Gardiner up with a back-door pass that Gardiner laced into the top corner, bringing Kalamazoo within one. Gardiner's tally would be the only one Kalamazoo would get as the Cyclones added an empty netter in the third to round out the scoring.
The 3-1 defeat snapped the K-Wings five-game win streak, and concluded a three-in-three
Jake Hildebrand would make 34 saves for Kalamazoo while Michael Houser stopped 21 of 22 he faced picking up his eighth win of the season.
The K-Wings are back in action Wednesday night in Brampton before returning home for another three-in-three weekend against Wheeling, Brampton, and Wichita.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2018
- Thunder Sweeps Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Come from Behind to Beat Oilers in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Edge Atlanta in Wild Sunday Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Martenet Scores to Unleash Teddy Bear Toss, Beast Win 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop Sunday Afternoon Contest to Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Clip Wings on the Road - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Fall Flat in Road Trip Finale against Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Railers Charge Late But Come up Empty in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Saracino Scoops up Five Points in 5-1 Wheeling Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wild One Goes to South Carolina 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings See Win Streak Snapped on Sunday Afternoon - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Hold off Furious Railer Rally in Third - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Slug Solar Bears on Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Colton Saucerman Loaned to AHL Utica Comets - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Gladiators Add Forward Nick Bligh in Trade with Railers - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: Matinee Hockey Concludes Busy Weekend - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Plush Power: 'Blades Drop Swamp Rabbits on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Falter to Grizzlies, 5-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wells Stops 37 in 4-1 Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Game Day: Wings Host Game Four Looking to Even Series
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center
- Wings Weekly: Playoff Hockey at Wings Event Center, Anselmini Reassigned
- Hildebrand Stops 31 as K-Wings Blank Cyclones, Even Series