Solar Bears Drop Sunday Afternoon Contest to Swamp Rabbits
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears (11-9-2-0) suffered a 7-4 loss to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (10-14-3-0) on Sunday afternoon at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Despite an early power play, the Solar Bears gave up a shorthanded goal to the Swamp Rabbits when Chris Izmerlian fed Stephen Pierog from the right circle, and the Greenville forward beat Corbin Boes just 57 seconds into the contest.
Cody Donaghey tied the score for Orlando when he stripped a Greenville player of the puck at the Swamp Rabbits blue line and wristed a shot past Chris Nell at 4:17. The defenseman has scored a goal in three straight games for the Solar Bears.
Greenville took a 2-1 lead late in the frame when Chad Duchesne's shot from the left point beat Boes high to the glove side at 15:56.
Otto Somppi tied the score at 2-2 at 7:24 of the second period. The forward earned his first pro goal after Brent Pedersen poked the puck to Somppi in front of the Orlando bench, and Somppi made his way to the right circle before snapping a shot through the legs of Nell.
Mathieu Foget gave the Solar Bears their lone lead of the afternoon at 11:16 after Tayler Thompson retrieved the puck at the side of the net, allowing Mitch Hults to put a shot on goal, and Foget buried the rebound.
Orlando's lead lasted for less than a minute and a half, as Johno May knocked in a bouncing puck past Boes at 12:40.
The Swamp Rabbits pulled ahead at the 15-minute mark when Thomas Ebbing snapped a shot past Boes, prompting the Solar Bears to replace the netminder with Hayden Stewart. Boes finished the day with 10 saves on 15 shots against.
Austen Brassard extended Greenville's lead to two goals with a tally at 16:17. May tallied his second of the game at 1:22 of the third period with the man advantage to make it 6-3 in favor of the visitors.
Brent Pedersen netted a power-play goal for Orlando after he redirected Michael Brodzinski's shot from the blue line past Nell at 13:40, but Michael Pelech put the game out of reach for Orlando at 14:51 to cap the scoring.
Stewart took the loss with eight saves on 11 shots against after relieving Boes; Nell earned the victory with 35 stops on 39 shots against.
Hults' assist on Foget's goal gives the forward a three-game assist streak (3a).
Tammela led the Solar Bears with eight shots on goal.
1) Johno May - GRN
2) Michael Pelech - GRN
3) Chad Duchesne - GRN
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears visit the Jacksonville Icemen on Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Arena. Orlando returns home to host the Atlanta Gladiators on Sunday, Dec. 16 at 1:30 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center for a FAIRWINDS Solar Bears Sunday. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets.
Teddy Bear Toss, Presented by Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic:
The Solar Bears will host their annual Teddy Bear Toss, presented by Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic, against the Florida Everblades on Friday, Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. The team is currently offering a Buy-One-Donate-One offer to groups of 15 or more attending the Teddy Bear Toss game. For more information, visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com/bodo.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2018
- Thunder Sweeps Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Come from Behind to Beat Oilers in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Edge Atlanta in Wild Sunday Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Martenet Scores to Unleash Teddy Bear Toss, Beast Win 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop Sunday Afternoon Contest to Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Clip Wings on the Road - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Fall Flat in Road Trip Finale against Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Railers Charge Late But Come up Empty in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Saracino Scoops up Five Points in 5-1 Wheeling Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wild One Goes to South Carolina 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings See Win Streak Snapped on Sunday Afternoon - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Hold off Furious Railer Rally in Third - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Slug Solar Bears on Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Colton Saucerman Loaned to AHL Utica Comets - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Gladiators Add Forward Nick Bligh in Trade with Railers - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: Matinee Hockey Concludes Busy Weekend - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Plush Power: 'Blades Drop Swamp Rabbits on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Falter to Grizzlies, 5-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wells Stops 37 in 4-1 Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.