Steelheads Falter to Grizzlies, 5-1
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (12-9-3) saw their win streak come to an end with a 5-1 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (14-4-4) on Saturday night at CenturyLink Arena.
The Grizzlies jumped to an early lead at 2:42 of the first period on a rebound shot from forward Cole Ully, taking a 1-0 lead for the second-straight night. However, the Steelheads found the answering goal later in the frame at 10:00 when a shot by forward Reid Petryk skipped off a defenseman and into the net, tying the game at 1-1.
Physical play ramped up in the second period with five combined power plays in the frame, but the Grizzlies nudged ahead before the end of the period. At 11:38, Grizzlies forward Caleb Herbert ripped a shot from the slot to edge ahead, 2-1.
The Grizzlies opened up their lead in the third period starting with Herbert's second of the night at 0:42 to double the lead, 3-1. Grizzlies forward J.T. Henke scored at 9:20 to continue the run, and forward Jake Marchment finished with a goal of his own to settle the scoreline at 5-1.
Grizzlies netminder Joe Cannata (8-3-3) stopped 30 of 31 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (7-4-3) halted 31 of 36 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads open a three-game weekend against the Kansas City Mavericks on Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to IdahoSteelheads.com.
The Holiday Hat Trick is here! Get tickets and a Steelheads cap as your perfect stocking stuffer for the holiday season! Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2018
- Thunder Sweeps Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Come from Behind to Beat Oilers in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Edge Atlanta in Wild Sunday Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Martenet Scores to Unleash Teddy Bear Toss, Beast Win 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop Sunday Afternoon Contest to Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Clip Wings on the Road - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Fall Flat in Road Trip Finale against Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Railers Charge Late But Come up Empty in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Saracino Scoops up Five Points in 5-1 Wheeling Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wild One Goes to South Carolina 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings See Win Streak Snapped on Sunday Afternoon - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Hold off Furious Railer Rally in Third - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Slug Solar Bears on Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Colton Saucerman Loaned to AHL Utica Comets - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Gladiators Add Forward Nick Bligh in Trade with Railers - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: Matinee Hockey Concludes Busy Weekend - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Plush Power: 'Blades Drop Swamp Rabbits on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Falter to Grizzlies, 5-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wells Stops 37 in 4-1 Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.