Komets Come from Behind to Beat Oilers in Overtime
FORT WAYNE, IN - A late goal with 45 seconds left in regulation from Fort Wayne's Alexander Kuqali forced overtime and the second goal of the night from Phelix Martineau gave the Komets (12-10-0) a 3-2 win over the Tulsa Oilers (13-6-5) at Memorial Coliseum. Tulsa earned a point, but saw its winless skid reach five games.
Tulsa took the lead early when captain Adam Pleskach slid a shot through the legs of Komets goaltender Zachary Fucale from low in the left circle. The Oilers made it 2-0 when Ryan Tesink fired a wrist shot from the top of the circle past Fucale on his stick side. The goal extended Tesink's point streak to six games. Devin Williams stopped all nine Fort Wayne attempts in the frame.
During a 4-on-4 situation midway through the second period, Martineau circled the Oilers net and snapped a shot past the blocker of Williams to cut Tulsa's lead to 2-1. The Oilers led by that score entering the third and held a 19-16 shots advantage. Fucale kept his team in it with two big saves on Tulsa breakaways in the middle period.
Kuqali snuck through the slot to the backdoor and tapped in a centering feed from Zach Kamrass into the Tulsa net with Fucale pulled for an extra attacker to send the game into overtime.
In the extra session, Martineau skated in from the right wing on a 2-on-1 and was stopped in his first attempt, but scooped up his own rebound and put the game away.
Tulsa next heads to Cincinnati for a Wednesday night battle with the Cincinnati Cyclones at 6:35pm CT at U.S. Bank Arena. Catch all the action on The Sports Animal radio network, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 6:15pm CT.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2018
- Thunder Sweeps Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Come from Behind to Beat Oilers in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Edge Atlanta in Wild Sunday Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Martenet Scores to Unleash Teddy Bear Toss, Beast Win 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop Sunday Afternoon Contest to Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Clip Wings on the Road - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Fall Flat in Road Trip Finale against Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Railers Charge Late But Come up Empty in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Saracino Scoops up Five Points in 5-1 Wheeling Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wild One Goes to South Carolina 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings See Win Streak Snapped on Sunday Afternoon - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Hold off Furious Railer Rally in Third - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Slug Solar Bears on Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Colton Saucerman Loaned to AHL Utica Comets - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Gladiators Add Forward Nick Bligh in Trade with Railers - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: Matinee Hockey Concludes Busy Weekend - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Plush Power: 'Blades Drop Swamp Rabbits on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Falter to Grizzlies, 5-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wells Stops 37 in 4-1 Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.