Mariners Hold off Furious Railer Rally in Third
PORTLAND, ME - The Mariners built a 3-0 lead through 40 minutes on Sunday afternoon over the Worcester Railers and held on for a 4-2 win despite a third period that the was dominated by the visitors. Brandon Halverson continued his strong play, stopping 40 shots and even adding an assist. Maine improved to 8-3-0-1 at the Cross Insurance Arena with their second home victory of the weekend.
Just like the last Maine meeting between the two teams on November 30th, a fight ensued in the opening seconds of the game. Alex Adams took on Yanick Tucotte just 25 seconds in, after Morgan Adams-Moisan had challenged Turcotte ten seconds into the game nine days prior. Alex Vanier was assessed a double-minor penalty for slashing and cross-checking at 9:59 and the Mariners capitalized on the second half of the power play when Ryan Ferrill punched home a rebound from a Michael McNicholas shot in the slot. The Mariners would improve to 7-1-0-1 when McNicholas registers a point. Jason Salvaggio got a secondary helper and the Mariners outshot Worcester 11-9 in the first.
The second period was Halverson's best as he stopped all 15 Railers shots. At 12:15, Ryan Gropp doubled the lead, backhanding home his second goal of the weekend. Ferrill won an offensive zone faceoff back to Garrett Cecere at the blue line and Cecere's blast was kicked by Railer netminder Evan Buitenhuis right to Gropp, who finished it off. Moments after a key save by Halverson on Ivan Kosorenkov, Justin Breton snapped a shot through the pads of Buitenhuis to make it 3-0 Maine. Sean Day and Luke Stork provided the assists on Breton's second goal in as many games.
Worcester's Nick Sorkin finally broke through Halverson at 5:01 of the third, dashing down the slot and scoring his second goal of the season. 1:52 later, he struck again, finishing an impressive setup by Matty Gaudreau from below the goal line. The Railers played almost the entire remainder of the third in the Maine zone, but Halverson held strong and at 18:50, with the Worcester net empty, he kicked a shot to Morgan Adams-Moisan, who launched his fifth goal of the season all the way down into the vacated cage. Worcester pulled their netminder again and elevated their shot total to 42, but Halverson shut the door for his eighth win of the season. In the loss, Buitenhuis stopped 23 of 26.
The Mariners will travel to Canada for a two game set in Newfoundland against the first place Growlers on Tuesday and Wednesday. Both games begin at 5:30 ET with coverage beginning at 5:15 on the Mariners Broadcast Network (ECHL.TV and Mixlr). Maine is home on Friday against the Adriondack Thunder at 7:15 PM. It's a 1-2-3 Friday: $1 hot dogs, $2 popcorn, and $3 Bud Lights through the start of the 2nd period. It's also the final day of the non-perishable food drive for Preble Street. Tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2018
- Thunder Sweeps Weekend Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Come from Behind to Beat Oilers in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Edge Atlanta in Wild Sunday Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Martenet Scores to Unleash Teddy Bear Toss, Beast Win 4-2 - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears Drop Sunday Afternoon Contest to Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Clip Wings on the Road - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Fall Flat in Road Trip Finale against Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Railers Charge Late But Come up Empty in Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Saracino Scoops up Five Points in 5-1 Wheeling Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Wild One Goes to South Carolina 6-5 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings See Win Streak Snapped on Sunday Afternoon - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Hold off Furious Railer Rally in Third - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Slug Solar Bears on Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Colton Saucerman Loaned to AHL Utica Comets - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Gladiators Add Forward Nick Bligh in Trade with Railers - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: Matinee Hockey Concludes Busy Weekend - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Plush Power: 'Blades Drop Swamp Rabbits on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Falter to Grizzlies, 5-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wells Stops 37 in 4-1 Win vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.