Wings Hit Four Homers, Roll over Tides 11-4 Monday
The Red Wings walloped four home runs in an 11-4 blowout of the Norfolk Tides Monday in the opener of a seven-game road trip.
The Wings (46-48) got two, two-run homers from Zander Wiel and three-run homers from Drew Maggi and Jaylin Davis as they have now gone deep 16 times in the first six games after the All-Star break. Coming into action on Monday, the Wings had led the International League in almost every offensive category since May 31, including runs which they'd scored 50 more than the next closest team.
Meanwhile, Devin Smeltzer picked up his first career Triple-A win going six innings and allowing just one run on three hits and two walks. Despite a 2.72 ERA over his first nine starts, that elusive first win had avoided him.
The game was scoreless into the fourth until Wiel's first homer of the night highlighted a three-run inning. The Wings made it 8-0 in the sixth inning after homers from Wiel and Maggi.
After the Tides had scored three unanswered runs, Davis put the game away with his 11th homer in just his 27th game with the Red Wings. He finished the game 3-for-4 with four RBI - giving him 30 RBI in his first month in Rochester.
The Wings and Tides play Game Two of the four-game set Tuesday night from Harbor Park in Norfolk. Sean Poppen (5-0, 2.39 ERA) gets the ball for the Wings.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Lehigh Valley Scores Eight in Eighth, Defeats Gwinnett - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 9-7 Thriller in Buffalo - Charlotte Knights
- 8 in 8 allow Pigs to hook Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Seven-Run Ninth Caps Mets' Dominance over Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Rochester Homers Offset Hays' Effort - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Hit Four Homers, Roll over Tides 11-4 Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB RHP Deivi Garcia gets win in Triple-A Debut against Columbus Clippers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Drop Series Opener to Pawtucket, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Trifecta Powers Hens to Victory over Bulls - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hart Heaves Six Shutout for Series-Opening Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Devon White, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- 7.15.19 Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-45) vs. Syracuse Mets (45-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Summer Is in Full Swing | Catch the Hens at Home for a Full Week: July 15-21 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-58) at Pawtucket Red Sox (37-55) - Louisville Bats
- Spirit of the International League Award Winner Announced - IL
- Tides Groundskeeper Kenny Magner Named 2019 Recipient of Sprit of International League Award - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Earns Second IL Pitcher of the Week Honor - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Homestand Highlights-July 15-21 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.