Spirit of the International League Award Winner Announced
July 15, 2019 - International League (IL) News Release
Today, the International League announced that the 2019 recipient of the Spirit of the International League Award is long-time Nofolk Tides head groundskeeper Kenny Magner. The Award, created in 2010, is designed to recognize the essential role filled by individuals who are dedicated to helping make sure League fans have the most enjoyable experience possible. Kenny's Award will be presented by International League President Randy Mobley at a special ceremony on July 19 at Norfolk's Harbor Park prior to the game against Lehigh Valley.
In 1978 the Tidewater Tides hired Kenny Magner, making him the youngest head groundskeeper in the International League at the time. Over more than four decades spanning two different ballparks, Magner has overseen every aspect of groundskeeping duties for the Tides. Today he is the longest-tenured member of the front office staff, bringing his invaluable years of experience and a friendly demeanor to work every day.
When the Tides relocated from Met Park to Harbor Park in 1993, it was Magner who installed home plate and the pitcher's mound. He's since worked over 3,000 games at the current home of the Tides, including a stretch in which he went 23 years without missing a game. He has twice been honored as the International League Sports Turf Manager of the Year, in 1993 and 1997.
In addition to his daily duties at Harbor Park, Magner has worked tirelessly on behalf of the community over the past 40 years and provided expertise to the benefit of countless youth sports participants. He's hosted clinics for area groundskeepers and coaches and volunteered his time for local universities, high schools, and youth teams. His greatest impact may be in his leadership role with the Tides Youth Field Makeover Project, overseeing the renovation of fourteen baseball fields in the Hampton Roads community, the Eastern Shores of Virginia, and in northeastern North Carolina.
The Spirit of the International League Award was created to help recognize individuals who work tirelessly to enhance the fan experience and significantly contribute to the overall success of the production that is today's Minor League Baseball game. International League ballparks are an integral part of their team's communities, and each season thousands of individuals dedicate themselves on a nightly basis to helping fans have the most enjoyable experience possible. While some are in more visible roles than others, each and every one of them is vital to the success of the operation of their team and the League.
Previous Recipients - Spirit of the International League Award
2010: Frank Gilhooley, Toledo (Broadcasting Icon) 2011: Fred Costello, Rochester (Team Organist) 2012: Frank Mooney, Buffalo (Account Executive) 2013: Bill Law, Durham (Team Ambassador) 2014: Lois Estridge, Louisville (Customer Service Representative) 2015: Rick Medeiros, Pawtucket (Director of Security) 2016: Don Waful, Syracuse (Team Advocate & Former President) 2017: Blaise DiNardo, Rochester (Director of Security) 2018: Howard Kellman, Indianapolis (Radio & TV Broadcaster)
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Lehigh Valley Scores Eight in Eighth, Defeats Gwinnett - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 9-7 Thriller in Buffalo - Charlotte Knights
- 8 in 8 allow Pigs to hook Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Seven-Run Ninth Caps Mets' Dominance over Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Rochester Homers Offset Hays' Effort - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Hit Four Homers, Roll over Tides 11-4 Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB RHP Deivi Garcia gets win in Triple-A Debut against Columbus Clippers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Drop Series Opener to Pawtucket, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Trifecta Powers Hens to Victory over Bulls - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hart Heaves Six Shutout for Series-Opening Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Devon White, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- 7.15.19 Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-45) vs. Syracuse Mets (45-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Summer Is in Full Swing | Catch the Hens at Home for a Full Week: July 15-21 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-58) at Pawtucket Red Sox (37-55) - Louisville Bats
- Spirit of the International League Award Winner Announced - IL
- Tides Groundskeeper Kenny Magner Named 2019 Recipient of Sprit of International League Award - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Earns Second IL Pitcher of the Week Honor - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Homestand Highlights-July 15-21 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.