Trifecta Powers Hens to Victory over Bulls
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo Mud Hens used the trifecta to defeat the Durham Bulls 9-1 on Monday evening at Fifth Third Field.
The Mud Hens (43-51) plated three runs in the first, second and seventh innings to defeat the Bulls (56-39).
Jacob Robson launched his seventh homerun of the year in the second inning to lead the Hens at the plate while five Toledo players including Robson collected two hits.
JaCoby Jones began his rehab assignment with a single up the middle to lead off for the Mud Hens. With one out, Robson doubled down the right field line to move Jones to third. Ronny Rodriguez then hit a line drive single up the middle to plate Jones and move Robson to third as Toledo went up 1-0. With Rodriguez on the move, Dawel Lugo hit through the right side of the infield scoring Robson and moving Rodriguez to third. Dustin Peterson then ground into a fielder's choice scoring Rodriguez as the Hens went up 3-0.
The Bulls got a run back in the second inning as Joe McCarthy hit a solo home run.
In the bottom half of the inning, Toledo put up another three-spot as Robson hit a three-run blast over the right field wall giving the Mud Hens a 6-1 lead. The runs quieted until the bottom of the seventh inning when Willi Castro doubled and scored on a single by Rodriguez. Lugo then ripped a double off the wall in right center field to score Rodriguez as the Hens took an 8-1 advantage. Dustin Peterson then brought in Lugo with an RBI single as the two-out rally continued. The Mud Hens took the 9-1 lead into the eighth.
Toledo held on to take the victory over Durham 9-1.
The Mud Hens and Bulls will be back in action Tuesday with first pitch set for 12:05 p.m. in a senior citizen day matchup.
- Senior Day
- Summer Rec Day
- Toddler Day with Muddy
- Special Guest: The Rescue Dogs
- Splash Zone
- Toddlers Run the Bases & Senior Stroll
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 1 for 4
6. RHP Beau Burrows: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
7. IF Willi Castro: 1 for 5, double
12. C Jake Rogers: 2 for 3
16. OF Jacob Robson: 2 for 5, double, homerun, 3 RBI
18. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow: 1 for 3
22. RHP John Schreiber: DNP
27. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 2 for 4, 2 RBI
- Jacob Robson hit his seventh home run of the season and his third in July.
- In his return from suspension, Beau Burrows delivered five innings of work allowing one earned run on a solo homerun in the second inning.
- Burrows also claimed his first victory of the season improving his record to 1-3.
- All nine Toledo batters recorded a hit in the game tonight as the Hens collected 14 hits in the game.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Lehigh Valley Scores Eight in Eighth, Defeats Gwinnett - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 9-7 Thriller in Buffalo - Charlotte Knights
- 8 in 8 allow Pigs to hook Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Seven-Run Ninth Caps Mets' Dominance over Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Rochester Homers Offset Hays' Effort - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Hit Four Homers, Roll over Tides 11-4 Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB RHP Deivi Garcia gets win in Triple-A Debut against Columbus Clippers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Drop Series Opener to Pawtucket, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Trifecta Powers Hens to Victory over Bulls - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hart Heaves Six Shutout for Series-Opening Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Devon White, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- 7.15.19 Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-45) vs. Syracuse Mets (45-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Summer Is in Full Swing | Catch the Hens at Home for a Full Week: July 15-21 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-58) at Pawtucket Red Sox (37-55) - Louisville Bats
- Spirit of the International League Award Winner Announced - IL
- Tides Groundskeeper Kenny Magner Named 2019 Recipient of Sprit of International League Award - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Earns Second IL Pitcher of the Week Honor - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Homestand Highlights-July 15-21 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.