Knights Win 9-7 Thriller in Buffalo
(BUFFALO, NY) - Trailing on three separate occasions, the Charlotte Knights came back to tie the game each time before taking a lead in extra innings and holding on for a 9-7 win over the Buffalo Bisons on Monday night in the opener of their four-game series at Sahlen Field.
With the score tied 7-7 in the 10th inning, former Buffalo Bisons infielder Ryan Goins made his presence felt in his old home ballpark with a towering two-run home run over the right field fence to give the Knights a 9-7 lead.
In the bottom of the inning, another former Bison, Jimmy Cordero (W, 4-1), retired his old teammates in order to finish the win for Charlotte.
The Knights were able to extend the game by erasing multiple deficits in the late innings of the game. Down 5-2 in the sixth, Matt Skole led off the inning with a double and Adam Engel singled to put runners on the corners. The next hitter, Yermín Mercedes, tied the game at 5-5 with three-run homer to left, his sixth with the Knights.
The Bisons got the lead back in the bottom of the sixth with a run off Knights reliever Jordan Guerrero. The Knights retied the game in the seventh on Skole's RBI single to score Alcides Escobar.
Again, the Bisons jumped ahead with a run in the bottom of the seventh against Knights righty Zach Thompson. However, Danny Mendick's two-out RBI single to center scored Paulo Orlando to even the score at 7-7 in the eighth.
From there, Thompson held the Bisons scoreless in the eighth and Cordero did the same in the ninth to force extra innings. Goins' game winning home run was his 10th of the season to set a new career-high, topping the nine he hit with the Toronto Blue Jays in 2017.
For the Knights, leadoff hitter Luis Robert went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two stolen bases in his fifth Triple-A game while Skole went 3-for-3 with two RBI. All nine Knights starters recorded at least one hit in the win while eight of nine scored a run.
Starting pitcher Kyle Kubat gave up five earned runs on nine hits with three strikeouts over 5.0 innings. Cordero threw 2.0 scoreless innings to earn the win, his 13th scoreless outing in 14 appearances for Charlotte.
The Knights and Bisons continue their series on Tuesday night. Donny Roach (2-4, 9.29) is scheduled to start for the Knights. Pregame coverage of the 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Lehigh Valley Scores Eight in Eighth, Defeats Gwinnett - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 9-7 Thriller in Buffalo - Charlotte Knights
- 8 in 8 allow Pigs to hook Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Seven-Run Ninth Caps Mets' Dominance over Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Rochester Homers Offset Hays' Effort - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Hit Four Homers, Roll over Tides 11-4 Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB RHP Deivi Garcia gets win in Triple-A Debut against Columbus Clippers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Drop Series Opener to Pawtucket, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Trifecta Powers Hens to Victory over Bulls - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hart Heaves Six Shutout for Series-Opening Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Devon White, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- 7.15.19 Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-45) vs. Syracuse Mets (45-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Summer Is in Full Swing | Catch the Hens at Home for a Full Week: July 15-21 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-58) at Pawtucket Red Sox (37-55) - Louisville Bats
- Spirit of the International League Award Winner Announced - IL
- Tides Groundskeeper Kenny Magner Named 2019 Recipient of Sprit of International League Award - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Earns Second IL Pitcher of the Week Honor - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Homestand Highlights-July 15-21 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways
- National Anthem Auditions Set for February 18 at Queen City Q
- Gastonia Native Wes Helms Named Manager for 2020 Season
- Knights Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball