SWB RHP Deivi Garcia gets win in Triple-A Debut against Columbus Clippers
MOOSIC, PA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders were victorious in the series opener against the Columbus Clippers, 6-4, Monday night at PNC Field. Deivi Garcia, the No. 4 prospect in the Yankees system and just 20-years old, struck out six in his first appearance in Triple-A picking up the win as the RailRiders knocked off the team with the best record in the International League.
Garcia gave up back-to-back singles to the first two batters he faced. Columbus took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on a Yu Chang sac fly, but a strike-him-out, throw-him-out double play ended the inning.
The game became tied at 1-1 in the bottom of the second when the RailRiders plated a run on a wild pitch from Columbus pitcher Tanner Tully. Erik Kratz scored on an RBI groundout, putting Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the lead 2-1.
An inning later, Max Moroff put the Clippers on top with a two-run home run in the top of the third, bringing the score 3-2. Moving into the bottom half, Clint Frazier nailed an RBI double and plated the second game-tying score, 3-3.
Wendell Rijo plated a run on an RBI groundout, giving Scranton/Wilkes-Barre the lead at 4-3.
Zack Zehner launched a two-run homer and the RailRiders extended their advantage to 6-3 in the bottom of the fifth providing enough breathing room for the bullpen for the rest of the contest.
Joe Harvey took the mound in the top of the eighth for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He replaced J.P. Feyereisen, who pitched 2.0 innings of work and recorded three strikeouts. Harvey recorded three strikeouts of his own in a scoreless inning of work.
In the top of the ninth, Columbus looked to rally from its three-run deficit. Trayce Thompson launched a solo home run for the Clippers, but it wasn't enough to defeat the RailRiders. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre came away with a 6-4 victory Monday night as Jonathan Holder locked down his first save of the season.
The RailRiders will continue the series against the Clippers Tuesday evening. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Lehigh Valley Scores Eight in Eighth, Defeats Gwinnett - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Win 9-7 Thriller in Buffalo - Charlotte Knights
- 8 in 8 allow Pigs to hook Stripers - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Seven-Run Ninth Caps Mets' Dominance over Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Rochester Homers Offset Hays' Effort - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Hit Four Homers, Roll over Tides 11-4 Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB RHP Deivi Garcia gets win in Triple-A Debut against Columbus Clippers - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Drop Series Opener to Pawtucket, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Trifecta Powers Hens to Victory over Bulls - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hart Heaves Six Shutout for Series-Opening Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- July 20-21: Blue Jays Weekend Features Vladdy Bobbleheads, Devon White, Duane Ward, Ticket Giveaways & More - Buffalo Bisons
- 7.15.19 Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-45) vs. Syracuse Mets (45-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Summer Is in Full Swing | Catch the Hens at Home for a Full Week: July 15-21 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (35-58) at Pawtucket Red Sox (37-55) - Louisville Bats
- Spirit of the International League Award Winner Announced - IL
- Tides Groundskeeper Kenny Magner Named 2019 Recipient of Sprit of International League Award - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Earns Second IL Pitcher of the Week Honor - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Homestand Highlights-July 15-21 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Keystone Mid Summer Classic Details Announced
- Bulls win series 3-0
- Estrada added to RailRiders on rehab assignment
- SWB Game Notes
- Two-run homers by Lukes, Cronenworth lift Bulls to Game 2 victory