Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday
The Red Wings knocked off the Norfolk Tides, 5-4, Wednesday night from Harbor Park.
The Wings (47-49) seemingly broke the game open with a four-spot in the fifth inning to make it 5-0. Newcomer Alejandro De Aza singled home a pair before Jaylin Davis and Wynston Sawyer each knocked home a run with a base hit.
Davis gave the Wings the lead with a solo home run in the fourth inning - his 12th in just 29 games with the Red Wings this season.
The Tides made it close in the ninth plating two and pushing the tying run in to scoring position but Ian Krol struck out Ademar Rifaela to end the game.
Lewis Thorpe earned the win as he danced around nine baserunners over his five innings of work to allow just one run. While Thorpe was in the game, two Norfolk baserunners were cut down at home plate. Mason Williams was gunned down at the plate by Jimmy Kerrigan trying to tag up in the second inning and Anderson Feliz was caught trying to swipe home on what would have been a wild pitch, but catcher Wynston Sawyer got it to Thorpe in time to tag out Feliz.
Wilin Rosario, Davis and Kerrigan each had multi-hit nights for the Wings.
De Aza was just signed by the Twins on Wednesday from the independent New Britain Bees of the Atlantic League.
The Wings will seek a series win on Thursday as Kohl Stewart gets the ball for Rochester. First pitch set for 12:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.