Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday
(BUFFALO, NY) -- In a city known for its hot wings, Luis Robert used his red-hot bat to make history once again.
Robert launched two home runs in a game for the second time in just seven days, RHP Odrisamer Despaigne twirled seven shutout innings, and the Charlotte Knights shut out the Buffalo Bisons by a score of 6-0 on Thursday night at Sahlen Field in Buffalo, NY. With the win, the Knights took over sole possession of second place in the International League Wild Card standings, just four games back of the Gwinnett Stripers.
After excelling for the Winston-Salem Dash (High-A) and Birmingham Barons (Double-A) earlier this season, Robert took the next step in his development on July 9th when he earned a promotion to the Knights. With the team in the midst of the Triple-A All-Star break, the 21-year-old debuted on July 11th at BB&T Ballpark. In a debut for the ages, he launched two home runs and drove in seven runs. On Thursday night in Buffalo, Robert did it again.
With the Knights ahead of the Bisons by a score of 1-0, Robert connected on his fourth home run of the season to give the club a 2-0 lead. The solo shot came off Buffalo LHP Ryan Feirabend (5-5, 5.81), who was saddled with the loss in Thursday's finale.
Three innings later, Robert once again connected on a pitch from Feirabend as he launched his second homer of the game. The long ball, which put the Knights ahead of the Bisons by a score of 4-0 at that point, was the fifth of the season for Robert with the Knights in just seven games. The talented Cuban-born prospect has now hit safely in all seven games with the Knights and is batting .433 (13-for-30) with five home runs and 11 RBIs.
The Knights added two more runs along the way over the final two innings of the game. Catcher Seby Zavala ripped his 14th home run of the season in the eighth inning and first baseman Zack Collins added an RBI double in the ninth inning to make it a 6-0 game.
Despaigne (4-4, 3.20) was marvelous on the mound for the Knights en route to his first win of the season with the team. Despaigne threw 95 pitches over his seven shutout frames and allowed just six hits. The Cuban native did not allow a walk on the night and struck-out four batters in his longest appearance of the season with the Knights. RHP Carson Fulmer tossed a scoreless eighth inning and RHP Thyago Vieira closed the door on the game with a scoreless ninth inning.
With the win, the Knights earned a four-game series split with the Bisons. The team will now make the trek to Pawtucket, RI to open a three-game series against the Pawtucket Red Sox on Friday night. Pre-game radio coverage of Friday's 7:05 p.m. game is set for 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and CharlotteKnights.com. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Offering Unique Opportunity to "Work from Home Plate" Starting on November 30
- The Charlotte Symphony Presents a Concert for Charlotte at Truist Field
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Presented by Truist
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Raised over $125,000 for Those in Need
- 2020 Charlotte Area High School Senior All-Star Classic Presented by Truist Set for July 9