Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday
The Red Wings rode another hot day from the offense to a 9-4 win over the Tides on a steamy summer afternoon in Norfolk.
The game was decided in about a five minute stretch late in the game.
With the Wings leading 6-4 in the eighth inning, reliever Cody Allen walked the bases loaded with one out. But, Allen induced a groundball to shortstop that Nick Gordon neatly turned to escape the jam.
Ronald Torreyes then hit a three-run homer - his ninth of the season - in the top of the ninth to put the game away and give Rochester the series victory.
The Wings (48-49) fell behind 3-0 after three innings, but put together a four-run fourth inning rally thanks to two, two-run, two-out singles from Torreyes and Gordon. Torreyes finished with a career-high five RBI.
Jaylin Davis and Tomas Telis added RBI hits to give the Wings a 6-4 lead heading to the eighth inning.
Kohl Stewart was the scheduled starter Thursday, but was summoned to Minnesota prior to first pitch. After Preston Guilmet allowed three runs over the first 2.2 innings, the combination of Carlos Torres, DJ Baxendale, Allen and Cody Stashak combined to allow just one run over the final 6.1 innings.
Rochester hits the road for Gwinnett where they'll open a huge three-game series against the wild card-leading Stripers. First pitch Friday from Coolray Field is at 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.