RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand
MOOSIC, PA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders were victorious in the fourth and final game of the series against the Columbus Clippers, 7-6, Thursday evening at PNC Field. Entering the seventh inning tied 6-6, Thairo Estrada knocked an RBI double down the left field line that secured the RailRiders victory.
The Clippers evened the score in the top of the seventh inning with an RBI double by Yu Chang before Estrada's RBI double, putting Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on top. After taking a 6-3 lead the RailRiders saw Columbus score single runs in three straight innings before taking the lead for good in the seventh.
The contest started with three Columbus batters scoring in the top of the first inning, as Brandon Barnes nailed an RBI double and plated a run. Then, Bobby Bradley hit a two-run homer for the Clippers, giving the visiting team an early game advantage 3-0. The RailRiders answered when Mike Ford homered to the lawn in right field in the home half of the inning, cutting the deficit by two. The home run was his 20thof the season which matched his Minor League career-high from 2017.
In the bottom of the second, Zack Zehner knocked an RBI triple for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and drove in Billy Burns, trimming the RailRiders deficit to 3-2. The game knotted 3-3 when Ford smacked a double to right, scoring Zehner. Ford moved to third on a wild pitch from Columbus pitcher Shao-Ching Chiang and then Breyvic Valera singled and scored Ford, putting the RailRiders ahead 4-3.
Moving into the bottom of the third, Zehner bounced a ground ball through the left side of the infield and plated Burns, increasing the RailRiders lead 5-3.
Keeping the momentum an inning later, Ryan McBroom singled on a ground ball and plated a run for the RailRiders in the bottom of the fourth 6-3.
In the top of the fifth inning, the Clippers plated a run to make it 6-4 before Trayce Thompson homered to center field in the top of the sixth and cut Columbus' deficit to one. That set up Chang's game-tying double in the seventh before Estrada's game-winning double.
Jonathan Holder picked up his first win of the year for the RailRiders, entering in out of the bullpen behind Joe Harvey and tossing 2.1 innings without allowing a hit or a run.
The RailRiders will begin a new series against the Louisville Bats Friday evening. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Statement on Yankees New Minor League Affiliation Structure
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns