Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Connor Lien homered twice and Mike Foltynewicz pitched 6.0 innings of one-run baseball to lead the Gwinnett Stripers (56-41) past the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (47-48) 11-2 on Thursday afternoon at Coolray Field. Pedro Florimon and Travis Demeritte also homered as Gwinnett split the four-game series.
Scoring Recap: Lien (1) got the Stripers on the board in the bottom of the second with a 415-foot two-run homer to left off Tyler Viza. Florimon (5) extended Gwinnett's lead to 6-0 in the third with a 358-foot grand slam to left off Viza. The IronPigs got RBI singles from Logan Morrison in the fifth and Phil Gosselin in the seventh to narrow the lead to 6-2. In the seventh, Lien (2) crushed his second homer of the day, a 414-foot blast to center off Yacksel Rios to make it 7-2. The Stripers scored four runs in the eighth for an 11-2 lead as Demeritte (19) belted a 421-foot two-run homer to right, Florimon hit an RBI single, and Luis Marte added a sacrifice fly.
Stripers Stats: Florimon went 3-for-5 with a triple and a homer, and tied his career high with five RBIs. Lien was 2-for-2 with two homers and three RBIs. Foltynewicz (W, 4-1) allowed one run on four hits and struck out six over 6.0 innings. Ben Rowen tossed 2.0 innings, yielded one run and struck out four. Dan Winkler pitched 1.0 scoreless inning and struck out two.
IronPigs Stats: Gosselin went 3-for-5 with an RBI, and Morrison went 2-for-3 with an RBI. Viza (L, 1-8) pitched 2.2 innings and gave up six runs on five hits.
Quote: "Slider was working well for me today," Foltynewicz said. "It's a pitch that I am down here to work on. I wasn't surprised by it but it was good for me today."
Postgame Notes: Lien hit his first two Triple-A homers and produced the fourth two-homer game of his career. Florimon's grand slam - the fourth of his career - was the seventh by a Striper this season, tying the Gwinnett single-season record set in 2011. Foltynewicz is 3-0 with a 3.42 ERA and two quality starts in four outings since returning to Gwinnett on June 23.
Next Game (Friday, July 19): Gwinnett vs. Rochester, 7:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Patrick Weigel (3-1, 3.43 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Drew Hutchison (6-5, 5.63 ERA) for the Red Wings. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Offer Coolray Field Suites as "Office for a Day"
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions