Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night
Indianapolis, IN - The Syracuse Mets' five-game winning streak came to an end on Thursday night with a 9-1 loss to the Indianapolis Indians at Victory Field. The Mets still won the series, taking three out of four games from the Indians.
Indianapolis (48-48) finally got its offense going for the first time in the series in the bottom of the third inning. Christian Kelley started the inning with a solo home run to give the Indians a 1-0 lead. James Marvel then walked, and Jake Elmore singled after a force out. Kevin Kramer followed with a sacrifice fly to right to add a second run. After Will Craig walked, Jason Martin doubled to center to push across two more runs for a 4-0 advantage. Hunter Owen followed with a two-run home run to center to extend the lead to 6-0.
The Tribe added another run in the fourth. Kelley and Marvel singled, and Cole Tucker reached on a fielder's choice on an error on Travis Taijeron's throw. Two batters later, Kevin Kramer singled to score Kelley and make the score 7-0.
In the sixth, Elmore doubled and then moved both to third and scored on wild pitches for the Indians' eighth run.
Syracuse (48-49) scored its lone run in the top of the eighth. With two outs, Arismendy Alcantara, Grégor Blanco, and Danny Espinosa all walked to load the bases. Rubén Tejada followed with a walk to bring in Alcantara and make it an 8-1 ballgame.
Indianapolis added one more run in the bottom of the eighth. With Trayvon Robinson at second and Elmore at first, Craig picked up a two-out single that scored Robinson to push the Indians lead back to eight, 9-1.
The Mets continue their weeklong road trip with the first game of a three-game series against the Toledo Mud Hens on Friday night. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Annual Garage Sale October 25 & 26
- Syracuse Mets See Huge Jump in Attendance During the 2019 Season
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester