Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Louisville Bats (36-60) dominated the Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) on Wednesday night, winning by an 8-1 score at McCoy Stadium. Narciso Crook led the offense with three hits and five RBI, hitting a triple and home run.
Major League rehabber Alex Wood (0-1, 5.06) made his third start for Louisville this season, registering his most effective outing to date. The left-hander kept the PawSox off the board in 2.0 innings of work, allowing two hits and one walk, striking out three on 38 pitches and 23 strikes. Wood's outing was cut short due to a rain delay, which would last 2 hours and 19 minutes.
After the lengthy rain delay, Louisville scored the game's first run in the top of the fifth when Blake Trahan's sacrifice fly scored Alex Blandino. Pawtucket answered quickly when Juan Centeno stole home in the fifth to knot it up at 1-1. Louisville reliever Jackson Stephens went 3.0 innings, allowing the game-tying run on three hits, walking and striking out a pair.
The Bats' offense would erupt in the seventh, scoring five runs in the frame and snapping an 0-for-16 slump with runners in scoring position. Nick Longhi doubled, Brian O'Grady reached on an error and Alex Blandino walked, when Narciso Crook came to the plate with the bases loaded.
Crook delivered with a bases-clearing, three-run triple, his team-leading fourth of the season and second of the series. Stuart Turner drove in Crook with an RBI double, with Turner coming around to score on a Scott Schebler RBI single to cap off the big inning. The Bats were back at it in the eighth, with Longhi doubling for the second time in as many innings, and Crook homering to give the Bats a commanding 8-1 lead.
Crook finished the night 3-for-3 with a triple, home run, walk and 5 RBI, which tied a career-high. Longhi went 3-for-4 with the pair of doubles and two runs scored.
Right-hander Brad Markey provided excellent relief for Louisville, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings and allowing just one hit, keeping a potential Pawtucket comeback out of the picture as Louisville's offense broke it open. Right-hander R.J. Alaniz finished the PawSox off with a scoreless bottom of the ninth.
Pawtucket outfielder and University of Louisville product Cole Sturgeon pitched a scoreless inning for the PawSox, recording a strikeout in the top of the ninth.
The Bats go for the series tie on Thursday morning with an 11:05 a.m. scheduled first pitch. Right-hander Lucas Sims (5-0, 4.56) is slated to start for Louisville, with Pawtucket right-hander Teddy Stankiewicz (4-5, 4.12) set to be his opponent in the series finale.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.