Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win
Ryan Mountcastle homered and Mason Williams drove in three, but the Rochester Red Wings topped the Tides 9-4 Thursday afternoon at Harbor Park.
Mountcastle gave the Tides the early lead with a solo homer in the first frame, his 17th round tripper of the season. The 22-year-old has hit 12 of those home runs at Harbor Park, and eight of his 17 homers have come in just 21 daytime contests.
Williams extended Norfolk's advantage to 3-0 with a two-run single in the third frame, and he later added an RBI single in the fifth frame off of Carlos Torres (4-1). He's now hit safely in seven straight contests and 17 of his last 18, batting .373 with five home runs and 15 RBI over that 18-game span.
The Wings trailed 3-0 entering the fourth frame but plated four runs four hits and a walk against Tyler Herb (4-7) in the inning to take control of the contest. Ronald Torryes and Nick Gordon each had two-run singles in the frame - both of which came with two outs.
Rochester padded its lead with an RBI single by Jaylin Davis in the fifth inning, and Tomas Telis gave the Wings a 6-4 advantage with an RBI double in the seventh frame. The Wings then put the game out of a reach in the ninth inning, as Torreyes connected on a three-run homer off of Branden Kline.
Austin Hays doubled twice, singled and scored two runs in the setback, as the Wings took three of four games in the series.
The Tides will continue their homestand on Friday night at Harbor Park with the first of three contests against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Luis Ysla (3-6, 5.65) is slated to get the start for Norfolk and be opposed by left-hander Damon Jones (0-0, 3.38), with first pitch set for 7:05.
Friday is Christmas in July at Harbor Park, as the first 3,000 fans 18 & over will receive an Oriole Bird snowglobe, presented by John's Tax Service and Super Doppler 10.
Notes: Earlier Thursday, DJ Stewart was activated to Norfolk's roster after being optioned from Baltimore on Sunday...Jack Reinheimer singled and scored in the third inning to extend his hitting streak to a season-high 11 consecutive games...The game was played in three hours and 33 minutes, the second-longest nine-inning game the Tides have played this year...Ronald Torreyes' five RBI were a career-high.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2019
- RailRiders take 3-of-4 from IL West leaders to begin seven-game homestand - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- James Marvel-ous as Indians One-Hit Mets in 9-1 Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale at Home - Toledo Mud Hens
- Robert Launches Two Homers, Knights Shut out Bisons 6-0 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Lose to Charlotte, 6-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (47-48) vs. Syracuse Mets (48-48) - Indianapolis Indians
- Four Winners Selected for $10,000 Grant - Durham Bulls
- Torreyes Powers Wings to Series Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mountcastle and Williams Shine, but Wings Win - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Return for Promo-Packed Homestand Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Charlotte (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett County offers split in IronPigs visit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23 - Syracuse Mets
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 4-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Club Three Home Runs in 4-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Christmas (Vacation Night) Coming Later this Month - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (36-60) at Pawtucket Red Sox (39-56) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Wings Hang on to Beat Tides, 5-4, Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- 5 RBIs from Crook Powers Bats Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Crook Leads Bats to 8-1 Win over PawSox - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.