Westchester, Grand Rapids Set for Friday Night Clash
WESTCHESTER KNICKS (23-17) vs. GRAND RAPIDS DRIVE (19-19)
Friday, February 22, 2019 - White Plains, NY (Westchester County Center)
7:00 PM (ET)
On February 20, 2019, the Westchester Knicks (23-17) used a balanced effort to knock off the Maine Red Claws (14-23), 109-91, Wednesday evening at Westchester County Center. Westchester aims for two victories in a row Friday against Grand Rapids
* Jameel Warney is the Knicks leading scorer (18.8 ppg)
* Zak Irvin is the Knicks leading rebounder (8.8 rpg).
* Kadeem Allen leads Westchester in assists (6.3 apg).
* Billy Garrett is third on the Knicks in assists (3.7 apg).
* Kadeem Allen leads Westchester in steals (1.6 spg).
* Isaiah Hicks leads the Knicks in blocks (1.9 bpg).
* Westchester ranks fourth in the Eastern Conference (as of 2/18).
* Westchester ranks third in the Atlantic Division (as of 2/18).
* Westchester is 3-2 in its last five contests.
* Westchester is 5-5 in its last 10 contests.
* Westchester is 12-9 at home.
* Westchester is 11-8 on the road.
* Westchester is 3-2 in overtime.
* Westchester went 9-3 in November.
* Westchester went 6-4 in December.
* Westchester went 4-8 in January.
* Westchester's longest win streak this season was seven games, which set a franchise record.
* The Knicks longest skid this season was four games.
* The Knicks longest home win streak was five games.
* The Knicks longest home losing skid was three games.
* The Knicks longest road win streak was five games.
* The Knicks longest road losing skid was four games.
INJURY REPORT/BOX SCORE INFO
Stephen Zimmerman (USA Basketball) is NWT.
LAST TIME OUT
On February 20, 2019, the Westchester Knicks (23-17) used a balanced effort to knock off the Maine Red Claws (14-23), 109-91, Wednesday evening at Westchester County Center.
Billy Garrett's 23 points led a class of five Knicks in double-figures, which he attained on 68.8-percent shooting. He also dished six dimes. Two-way Isaiah Hicks, who was transferred prior to tonight's game, scored 20 points and ended with four rebounds, one assist, two steals and raised for a block.
Jameel Warney (18), Zak Irvin (17) and Sekou Wiggs (13) rounded out the Knicks with 10-plus points. Warney's nine rebounds and seven assists led on the night in those respective categories.
For Maine, PJ Dozier finished with 22 points on 52.9-percent shooting and handed out a team-best five assists. Andrew White III and Archie Goodwin both added 17 points apiece. John Bohannon grabbed seven boards.
The game was competitive with the second and third quarters both ending in one-point margins. Hicks and Garrett both scored 11 in the final frame to help the Knicks break open an 18-point lead, the largest all game. After 18 lead changes and five deadlocked scores, the Knicks went ahead with 8:07 remaining for the lone lead change in the window, and never looked back.
On February 1, the Westchester Knicks (20-15) took care of Grand Rapids Drive (13-18) behind a strong second-half performance, 110-103, Friday night at DeltaPlex Arena.
Devon Baulkman packaged career-highs of 23 points, 19 of which came in the second half, and 10 rebounds. He also raised for three blocks (ties career-high), dished an assist, drained three triples and committed just one turnover in a near 36-minute starting performance.
Billy Garrett led all on the evening with 26 points on 52.9-percent shooting, tied a team-high six assists and swished three treys. Jameel Warney added 17 points and Zak Irvin had a double-double comprised of 12 points and 10 rebounds.
Marcus Thornton put up 24 points to lead the Drive. Henry Ellenson finished with 21 points and 13 rebounds. Kalin Lucas had a game-high eight helpers.
Westchester trailed the hosts by 10 at the break but opened the second-half on a 16-3 run, to deadlock scoring at 64-up at the 7:44 mark. Baulkman credited seven points in that span.
Six ties followed with the final plateau coming with 2:31 remaining in the game. Baulkman nailed a go-ahead three-pointer, on the feed from Irvin, and the Knicks played in the forefront until the final buzzer.
Only eight Westchester Knicks were active with Two-Way players Isaiah Hicks and Kadeem Allen transferred to the New York Knicks and John Jenkins on a 10-Day contract with the Washington Wizards.
GET TO KNOW GRAND RAPIDS
* 5-12 when they are behind prior to the fourth quarter's start.
* 13-5 when they are ahead by the fourth quarter's start.
* 5-10 when they shoot worse than 44-percent on the road.
* An undefeated 3-0 when they shoot better than 45-percent on the road.
* The team's longest win streak of the season was four games.
* The team's longest losing skid of the season was six games.
* The team has gone 6-2 in February.
* The team went 4-5 in January.
* 3-4 in games settled by three points or fewer.
LAST THREE LEADERS BEFORE ALL-STAR BREAK
Includes games against Canton (2/8), Long Island (2/9) and Capital City (2/12).
* Billy Garrett leads the team with 30.0 points per game on 50-percent shooting.
* Jameel Warney is second on the team with 19.7 points per game on 58.5-percent shooting.
* Paul Watson is shooting a team-best 67.7-percent shooting (21-of-31). He has the fifth most shooting attempts.
* Zak Irvin has played the most minutes (118:50).
* Billy Garrett is shooting 88.9-percent from the free-throw line (16-of-18). He has more than doubled the makes of the next leader-Jameel Warney (7-of-7).
* Billy Garrett (8-of-23) and Paul Watson (8-of-16) have made the most threes on the team.
* Zak Irvin is first on the team with 11.3 rebounds per game and is averaging a double-double, 17.3 points per game.
LAST TWO LEADERS BEFORE ALL-STAR BREAK
Includes games against Long Island (2/9) and Capital City (2/12).
* Billy Garrett leads the team with 34.5 points per game on 48.1-percent shooting.
* Jameel Warney is second on the team with 24.5 points per game on 60.6-percent shooting.
* Paul Watson is third on the team with 21.5 points per game on 70.8-percent shooting.
* Zak Irvin is averaging a double-double comprised of 18.0 points per game and 12.0 rebounds per game.
* Stephen Zimmerman is averaging 5.0 offensive rebounds per game.
* Billy Garrett is averaging 8.0 assists per game.
* Zak Irvin is averaging 5.0 assists per game.
BREAKIN' DOWN BILLY... IN A GOOD WAY
Billy Garrett was averaging 30.0 points in Westchester's last three games before the NBA All-Star break, a total of 90 points.
* 50 points came from two-pointers.
* 24 points came from three-pointers.
* 16 points came from free-throws.
* Accounts for 26.9-percent of the team's total assists.
* Accounts for 34.6-percent of the team's total steals.
* Accounts for 23.1-percent of the team's field goal makes.
* Ranked second in the G League with 30.0 points per game (as of 2/18).
HOME SWEET HOME
Includes home games only.
* Jameel Warney leads the team with 17.8 points per game on 54.5-percent shooting.
* Zak Irvin leads the team with 8.8 rebounds per game.
* Zak Irvin is an 84.6-percent free-throw shooter.
* Jameel Warney is an 88.9-percent free-throw shooter.
* Kadeem Allen averages 1.9 steals per game.
* Kadeem Allen averages 6.2 assists per game.
Paul Watson was averaging 21.5 points per game from 2/9-2/12 on 70.8-percent shooting. Both statistics were a season superlative for a two-game span. Watson has scored double-figures in three straight games one time this season. He ended with just six against Maine (2/20).
AROUND THE LEAGUE
* Westchester is fifth in the G League with a 47-percent field goal percentage.
* Westchester is fifth in the G League with 46.6 rebounds per game.
* Westchester is second in the G League with 36.2 defensive rebounds per game.
Paul Watson is averaging 9.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks across his last two games.
Jameel Warney is averaging 22.3 points per game in his last three games on 56.9-percent shooting. He is also averaging 8.7 rebounds per game. He has scored 20-plus points four consecutive times one time this season as a Westchester Knick.
BULKING UP BAULKMAN
Devon Baulkman has scored double-figures in three of his last four games games (his longest streak of the season) and four in his last six games. In the three-game window spanning from 2/8-2/12, Baulkman was averaging 17.7 points per game (third-best on the team) on 45.7-percent shooting. He is averaging 15.3 points in his last four games.
After putting up 20 points against Canton (2/8), Sekou Wiggs averaged 3.0 points on 11.8-percent shooting from 2/9-2/12. His 20 point-performance followed another two-game span where he also shot 11.8-percent and scored 2.3 points per game. He put up 13 points against Maine which marked the first time in three games and third time in seven games.
WATSON ON THE BOARDS
The only other time Paul Watson grabbed double-digit rebounds was when he secured 10 against the Windy City Bulls on March 16, 2018. He hauled 10 against Capital City on February 12, 2019 which accompanied a double-double, his only one of the season.
Billy Garrett is riding a 10-game streak scoring double-figures. He's shot better than 50-percent in half of those games.
PUTTIN' UP POINTS
From 2/8-2/12, Billy Garrett was averaging 30.0 points in three games which is the third-most by a Knick this season. John Jenkins averaged 32.0 points per game in a three-game span that included Fort Wayne (12/13), Grand Rapids (12/15) and Iowa (12/19). Jenkins also averaged 33.0 points in a three-game span from 11/6-11/14 and from 11/10-11/16. The window from 11/10-11/16 is a consecutive three-game streak as Jenkins missed the game on 11/8.
Isaiah Hicks scored 20 points on 58.3-percent shooting on his first game back with Westchester after being transferred to the New York Knicks for the five Westchester games prior. In the calendar year, Hicks has appeared in six games and is averaging 17.3 points on 45.1-percent shooting. He has hit eight threes on 30.8-percent shooting, is averaging 6.7 rebounds and has a second-leading 13 total blocks.
Zak Irvin is riding a seven-game streak of scoring in double-figures and is averaging 15.3 points per game on 55.8-percent shooting. He is also grabbing 9.3 rebounds per game and 4.6 assists per game.
WARNEY VS. WARNEY
Jameel Warney is averaging 15.8 points this season on 49.8-percent shooting which includes his tenure with the Texas Legends. As a Knick, Warney is averaging 18.8 points on 55.9-percent shooting.
KNICKS FOR THREE
Westchester's 15 made three-pointers against Capital City (2/12) were the most by the team since the Knicks drained 15 against Erie (11/18). The team's high stands at 17 which was tabbed against Lakeland (11/10). Through the three games prior to Capital City (2/12), the team was averaging just 8.3 made three-pointers.
EVERYBODY ELSE FOR THREE
Westchester opponents have drilled 10-plus three-pointers in all but one game in the last ten games. Knicks opponents are averaging 12.3 made three-pointers in the last three games and 12.2 threes in the last ten.
PAUL THE SNIPER
Paul Watson's five three-pointers made against Capital City (2/12) rewrote his career-high. His previous best was four tallied against Fort Wayne (12/26/18).
ZIMM ON THE BOARDS
Stephen Zimmerman is averaging 9.0 rebounds per game in his last two games.
LAST FIVE LEAGUE WIDE (AS OF 2/18)
* Stephen Zimmerman ranks sixth in the G League with 4.7 offensive rebounds per game.
* Zak Irvin ranks 18th in the G League with 10.4 rebounds per game.
* Billy Garrett ranks sixth in the G League with 28.8 points per game.
* John Jenkins ranks eighth in the G League with 28.0 points per game (as a member of Capital City Go-Go per 10-Day contract).
* Billy Garrett ranks 19th in the G League with 3.0 made three-pointers per game.
* Billy Garrett ranks seventh in the G League with 5.8 made free-throws per game.
On February 11, 2019, the Westchester Knicks acquired Parker Jackson-Cartwright from the available player pool and waived Kevin Olekaibe.
Jackson-Cartwright, 5'11, 170, joined the Westchester Knicks by the way of Raptors 905. The Raptors drafted Jackson-Cartwright in the second round of the 2018 NBA G League Draft.
Westchester is averaging 120.3 points per game in its last three games before the NBA All-Star Break. At that point, the team was averaging 106.8 points this season. The team went 2-1 in the span.
POINT BLANK RANGE
Westchester scored 68 points in the paint against Maine (2/20) which was two points shy of its season high. The club scored 70 points against Fort Wayne (12/13) which also resulted in a win. The 68 points scored against Maine accounted for 62.3-percent of the team's offense. In its last four games, the team's points in the paint have accounted for 50.2-percent (236-of-470) of the team's offense.
When the Knicks shoots better than 50-percent from the floor, Westchester is 10-1. The last time the team shot that well (54.1%) came against Maine (2/20) which resulted in a win.
Westchester carried a 17-point lead over Capital City (2/12) before falling to the Go-Go by three. The Knicks have registered nine double-digit leads in its last ten games. Of the eight games, the Knicks have only pulled out wins in four of them. Its opponents have only had double-digit leads in four of the last eleven games but have won five of the eleven games.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
On February 11, Billy Garrett was named the NBA G League Player of the Week as announced by the league Monday afternoon. In a 2-0 week for Westchester, Garrett averaged a team-leading 30.0 points on 51.2-percent shooting, 3.5 rebounds, 7.0 assists, 1.5 steals and drained four triples.
On February 21, 2019, the New York Knicks announced today that the team has signed John Jenkins of the Westchester Knicks (23-17). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Jenkins, 6-4, 215, originally signed a 10-day contract with New York on February 11 and has appeared in two games, averaging 10.5 points on 50-percent shooting, 2.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists over 17.5 minutes. In the team's win at Atlanta on February 14, Jenkins recorded 14 points, five rebounds and two assists over 26 minutes. Jenkins is the seventh Westchester Knicks player to earn a call-up and sign with New York.
With Westchester this season, Jenkins started each of the 19 games he appeared in averaging a team-high 24.8 points per game on 47-percent shooting. The guard also drained 62 triples this season on 42.5-percent and was a 92.8-percent free-throw shooter. His line also included averages of 3.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.1 steals and a pair of 40-point performances.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Johnson Scores 28, Gray Finishes with Triple Double for Mad Ants at Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Clippers' Long-Range Shooting Overwhelms Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Walter Lemon's Triple-Double Leads Windy City to a 119-112 Victory over Divison Rival Fort Wayne - Windy City Bulls
- Stars Mount 25-Point Comeback to Earn Road Win - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Stars - Lakeland Magic
- Vipers Snap Wolves Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Maine Escapes With Win Despite 22 Blue Coats Threes - Delaware Blue Coats
- Knicks Credit Two 20-Point Scorers in Win over Drive - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Snap Wolves Three-Game Win Streak - Iowa Wolves
- Houston Rockets Sign Chris Chiozza to 10-Day Contract - Capital City Go-Go
- Canton Roars Past Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Fall to Knicks Friday Night in New York - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Ride the Wave to Victory in Erie - Canton Charge
- Dozier Wins Game at Buzzer in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Houston Rockets Sign Terrence Jones to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks' College Park NBA G League Affiliate Set to Become the Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Heat Recalls Emanuel Terry from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Houston Rockets Assign Guard Chris Chiozzo to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Hustle to Host Final Installment of 'Dog Days of Winter' on Tuesday, February 26 at 7 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- Wisconsin Herd to Wear Throwback-Themed Uniforms at Tonight's Game - Wisconsin Herd
- San Antonio Assigns Lonnie Walker Iv to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester, Grand Rapids Set for Friday Night Clash - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Defeats Sioux Falls Behind Eight Double-Digit Scorers - Long Island Nets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.