Dozier Wins Game at Buzzer in OT
Wilmington, DE - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, erased a 14-point deficit using solid 4th quarter defense and a buzzer-beater in overtime from P.J. Dozier to beat Delaware Friday night, 112-109.
Maine (15-23) was led by Dozier, who finished with 20 points including the game-winner, 18 rebounds and 6 assists. Sheldon Jeter led the bench with 22 points including 6-9 from downtown. Nick King scored 15 points in 14 minutes, all coming in the 4th quarter and OT. Trey Davis added 12 points, Justin Bibbs 11 and John Bohannon 10 in the win.
Delaware (16-21) was led by Rashad Vaughn with 23 points. Former Boston Celtic Amir Johnson, on assignment from the Philadelphia 76ers, finished with 15 points. The Blue Coats tied a record for made three-pointers against the Red Claws (22) and set the record for three-point attempts (52).
Vitto Brown started the scoring by dropping in a three on the Red Claws' third possession. Jared Brownridge answered with a pair of threes. Dozier's driving dunk put the Red Claws up 13-11. Delaware then dropped in three quick three's to go up 5. Brownridge dropped in another trey to extend to 8. Brownridge went 4-4 from the floor, all threes, and the Blue Coats led 36-24 after 1 quarter of play. The Blue Coats shot 61.9% (13-21) in the 1st quarter, including 8-14 from downtown.
In the 2nd, Maine scored 5 quick points, capped by a Jeter three to cut it to 7 and force a quick Delaware timeout. The Claws continued hot - opening the quarter on a 12-4 run to cut it to 40-36. Amir Johnson and the Blue Coats would right the ship, but Dozier continued the pressure offensively. Haywood Highsmith dropped in a pair of threes to extend back to 12, and Delaware led 62-50 at the half. Delaware shot 48% (15-31) from three-point range in the half.
Johnson opened the 2nd half with a three-point play. Jeter dropped in a pair of threes to cut the deficit to 8. Two more Jeter threes got it to 67-65. Dozier's three point play tied the game at 68 after a 12-1 run. Bibbs gave Maine a 79-78 lead with a jumper. Trey Davis dropped in a trey to put the Claws up 2. Rashad Vaughn and Terrence Drisdom knocked in late threes, and Delaware finished on a 12-0 run to take a 92-82 lead after 3.
In the 4th, the Red Claws scored 6 quick points. Delaware answered with a Vaughn three-point play. Nick King's put-back cut it to 100-96.Highsmith answered with the Blue Coats' 22nd three. King continued to provide solid minutes, scoring underneath to cut it to 105-100. King's three-point play made it a 2 point game. Jeter's lay-up tied the game at 105 with 1:11 to go. White missed a three with :20 to go, but Maine forced a shot clock violation the other way. With :01.4 left, Bibbs missed a tough turnaround, and the game went to overtime. Maine out-scored Delaware 23-13 in the 4th quarter.
In OT, Johnson tipped home a bucket to put Delaware up 2. King tied the game at 107 from the free throw line. After another Johnson second chance lay-up, Dozier drove and scored to even it at 109. With the ball and :01.4 left, Bibbs found Dozier who buried a straight on three at the buzzer to win the game.
Maine shot 41% (41-99) from the field, 33% (14-42) from three-point range, and 16-18 from the free throw line. Delaware shot 41% (38-94) from the floor, 42% (22-52) from downtown, and 9-15 from the charity stripe. The Red Claws out-rebounded the Blue Coats 60-43.
The Red Claws return to action Sunday at home against Windy City. Limited tickets are available by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Johnson Scores 28, Gray Finishes with Triple Double for Mad Ants at Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Clippers' Long-Range Shooting Overwhelms Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Walter Lemon's Triple-Double Leads Windy City to a 119-112 Victory over Divison Rival Fort Wayne - Windy City Bulls
- Stars Mount 25-Point Comeback to Earn Road Win - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Stars - Lakeland Magic
- Vipers Snap Wolves Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Maine Escapes With Win Despite 22 Blue Coats Threes - Delaware Blue Coats
- Knicks Credit Two 20-Point Scorers in Win over Drive - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Snap Wolves Three-Game Win Streak - Iowa Wolves
- Houston Rockets Sign Chris Chiozza to 10-Day Contract - Capital City Go-Go
- Canton Roars Past Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Fall to Knicks Friday Night in New York - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Ride the Wave to Victory in Erie - Canton Charge
- Dozier Wins Game at Buzzer in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Houston Rockets Sign Terrence Jones to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks' College Park NBA G League Affiliate Set to Become the Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Heat Recalls Emanuel Terry from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Houston Rockets Assign Guard Chris Chiozzo to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Hustle to Host Final Installment of 'Dog Days of Winter' on Tuesday, February 26 at 7 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- Wisconsin Herd to Wear Throwback-Themed Uniforms at Tonight's Game - Wisconsin Herd
- San Antonio Assigns Lonnie Walker Iv to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester, Grand Rapids Set for Friday Night Clash - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Defeats Sioux Falls Behind Eight Double-Digit Scorers - Long Island Nets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.