Magic Fall to Stars
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, fell to the Salt Lake City Stars 112-107 on Friday night at the RP Funding Center.
It was a back and forth contest at the start of the game. The Magic scored eight straight to take a 21-15 lead with 5:06 left in the first quarter and would increase the lead to 11 points (34-23) going into the second quarter of play. The Magic hit three straight three pointers at the start the second quarter to extend the lead to 18 points. Lakeland's hot streak continued and the Magic would take a 61-42 lead into the locker room at the half.
The Stars got a boost in the third quarter to outscore the Magic 39-30 but the Magic would remain in control with a ten point lead going into the final quarter of play. The Stars were still on fire in the fourth and cut the Magic lead to just three points with 2:36 remaining on the clock. Salt Lake City tied it up with 1:31 left in the game and gained the lead on a three pointer by Deonte Burton with 54.5 seconds remaining. The Stars would hold onto the lead and take a 112-107 victory over the Magic.
Troy Caupain lead the way for Lakeland with 22 points. Gabe York had 21 points going 5-7 from the three. Reggis Onwukamuche came off the bench to score 19 points and 8 rebounds. Antonio Campbell had 17 points and Anthony Brown posted 15 points and 5 rebounds.
For the Stars, Tyler Cavanaugh had 31 points and 8 rebounds. Naz Mitrou-Long posted 23 points. Deonte Burton had 13 points and 7 assists. Isaac Haas posted 13 points and 7 rebounds. Justin Reyes had 13 points and 6 rebounds in 22:41 minutes of play.
The Magic hit the road to face off against the Westchester Knicks on Sunday, February 24 at 3:00PM at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY. Lakeland remains in sole possession of first place in the Eastern Conference. The game can be viewed on Facebook Live.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
Troy Caupain 22 points
Gabe York 21 points
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Johnson Scores 28, Gray Finishes with Triple Double for Mad Ants at Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Clippers' Long-Range Shooting Overwhelms Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Walter Lemon's Triple-Double Leads Windy City to a 119-112 Victory over Divison Rival Fort Wayne - Windy City Bulls
- Stars Mount 25-Point Comeback to Earn Road Win - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Stars - Lakeland Magic
- Vipers Snap Wolves Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Maine Escapes With Win Despite 22 Blue Coats Threes - Delaware Blue Coats
- Knicks Credit Two 20-Point Scorers in Win over Drive - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Snap Wolves Three-Game Win Streak - Iowa Wolves
- Houston Rockets Sign Chris Chiozza to 10-Day Contract - Capital City Go-Go
- Canton Roars Past Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Fall to Knicks Friday Night in New York - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Ride the Wave to Victory in Erie - Canton Charge
- Dozier Wins Game at Buzzer in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Houston Rockets Sign Terrence Jones to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks' College Park NBA G League Affiliate Set to Become the Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Heat Recalls Emanuel Terry from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Houston Rockets Assign Guard Chris Chiozzo to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Hustle to Host Final Installment of 'Dog Days of Winter' on Tuesday, February 26 at 7 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- Wisconsin Herd to Wear Throwback-Themed Uniforms at Tonight's Game - Wisconsin Herd
- San Antonio Assigns Lonnie Walker Iv to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester, Grand Rapids Set for Friday Night Clash - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Defeats Sioux Falls Behind Eight Double-Digit Scorers - Long Island Nets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- Lakeland Magic Announce Theme Night Dedicated to the Arts
- Orlando Magic Announce Roster for MGM Resorts 2019 NBA Summer League
- Lakeland Magic President Shelly Wilkes Honored by the Greater Orlando Sports Commission with the Rising Star Award
- Lakeland Magic Announce Five Home Games for 2019-20 Season
- 400+ Local Students Participate in Magic 863 Reading Program