Canton Roars Past Erie
ERIE, PA - The Erie BayHawks (17-20), tonight known as the Erie Wave, NBA G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club, fell to the Canton Charge (14-23), 104-95, inside Erie Insurance Arena.
For just one night, the BayHawks changed their name to the Erie Wave, as part of Erie's Hardwood Classic Night. The Wave competed in the World Basketball League from 1990-92, playing their home games at the Louis J. Tullio Arena, now known as Erie Insurance Arena.
Erie was led tonight by newly acquired guard Cat Barber, who tallied a game-high tying 22 points on 10-20 (.500) shooting from the floor, to go along with a game-high eight assists, two rebounds and a game-high tying two steals in 37.1 minutes as a reserve. Atlanta Hawks two-way forward Alex Poythress notched a double-double, finishing with 20 points on 9-16 (.563) shooting from the floor, 10 rebounds, two assists and a game-high tying two blocks in 35.4 minutes. Jeremy Hollowell pulled down a career-high tying 11 rebounds, to go along with 13 points and a game-high tying two steals in 36.1 minutes.
Cleveland Cavaliers two-way forward Deng Adel poured in a game-high tying 22 points on 9-16 (.563) shooting from the field, six rebounds, two assists and one block in 34.3 minutes. Fellow Cavs two-way forward Jaron Blossomgame registered a team-high eight rebounds, to go along with 15 points on 7-14 (.500) shooting, two assists and one steal in 31.4 minutes. Scoochie Smith finished tonight's contest with 18 points on 6-12 (.500) shooting from the floor, four rebounds, a team-high six assists and a game-high tying two steals in 35.1 minutes of play.
The opening few minutes of tonight's contest was evenly matched, as the score was tied 12-12 with 6:25 left to play in the first quarter. Canton would finish the first frame on an 18-7 run to hold a 30-19 lead heading into the second quarter of action. Erie outscored Canton by one point, 23-22, in the second quarter. After 12 minutes of play, the Charge held a 52-42 advantage.
Canton extended its lead to 23 points, 70-47, at the 7:36 mark of the third quarter off of a Levi Randolph triple. Heading into the final frame, Erie found itself in a 14-point, 80-66, hole. Although the Wave were able to get within four points of Canton, 95-91, with 2:26 left to play in regulation, the deficit was too steep to overcome. The Charge would eventually walk away with a 104-95 victory.
The BayHawks will be back in action tomorrow night, as the Capital City Go-Go make their first trip to Erie Insurance Arena. Tipoff for tomorrow night's match is set for 7 p.m. Tickets can be found online at eriebayhawks.com or at the Erie Insurance Arena box office.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Johnson Scores 28, Gray Finishes with Triple Double for Mad Ants at Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Clippers' Long-Range Shooting Overwhelms Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Walter Lemon's Triple-Double Leads Windy City to a 119-112 Victory over Divison Rival Fort Wayne - Windy City Bulls
- Stars Mount 25-Point Comeback to Earn Road Win - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Stars - Lakeland Magic
- Vipers Snap Wolves Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Maine Escapes With Win Despite 22 Blue Coats Threes - Delaware Blue Coats
- Knicks Credit Two 20-Point Scorers in Win over Drive - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Snap Wolves Three-Game Win Streak - Iowa Wolves
- Houston Rockets Sign Chris Chiozza to 10-Day Contract - Capital City Go-Go
- Canton Roars Past Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Fall to Knicks Friday Night in New York - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Ride the Wave to Victory in Erie - Canton Charge
- Dozier Wins Game at Buzzer in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Houston Rockets Sign Terrence Jones to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks' College Park NBA G League Affiliate Set to Become the Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Heat Recalls Emanuel Terry from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Houston Rockets Assign Guard Chris Chiozzo to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Hustle to Host Final Installment of 'Dog Days of Winter' on Tuesday, February 26 at 7 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- Wisconsin Herd to Wear Throwback-Themed Uniforms at Tonight's Game - Wisconsin Herd
- San Antonio Assigns Lonnie Walker Iv to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester, Grand Rapids Set for Friday Night Clash - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Defeats Sioux Falls Behind Eight Double-Digit Scorers - Long Island Nets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.