Vipers Snap Wolves Winning Streak
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the NBA G League affiliate of the Houston Rockets, (28-13) defeated the Iowa Wolves (16-25), 142-117, on Friday night. Tonight's win snapped Iowa's three-game win streak.
After one period of action the Vipers were ahead 30-26, sparked by Gary Payton II's eight points. Houston Rockets two-way player, Danuel House Jr., closely followed with seven points of his own as Rio Grande set the pace.
The intensity picked up on both ends as the second quarter rolled around which resulted in the Vipers claiming a dominant 71-49 lead at the halftime break. Payton ll totaled 14 points, seven rebounds and three assists at the half. Rockets assignee, Isaiah Hartenstein, locked in the double-double with 14 points, 12 rebounds, three assists before heading to the locker room for the break.
Iowa two-way, CJ Williams had 13 points at the break. Making an appearance on the offensive end for the Iowa was Denver Nuggets two-way Brandon Goodwin who tallied 11 points, three rebounds, four assists. The Wolves were limited to just over 35% shooting from the field in the first half by the Vipers.
Despite being outscored 40-32 in the third quarter, Rio Grande kept their lead over Iowa. The Vipers led 103-89 as House Jr. took over with his 21 points, three assists by the end of the three. Darius Johnson-Odom crept into the scoring conversation tonight as he drained two 3-pointers to tally 17 total points for Iowa.
Once the final buzzer hit, the Vipers locked in the home victory, 142-117. House Jr. ended his night with 27 points, four rebounds and four assists. Hartenstein had yet another double-double performance for the Vipers as he totaled 24 points, 18 rebounds, four assists and four blocks. Payton ll closed out his stat line with 19 points, 13 rebounds which gave him the double-double. He added on an impressive seven assets before the game ended. Off the bench Jacobi Boykins racked up 17 points for the Vipers in addition, he totaled 15 points from the arc.
Iowa benefitted from Williams offensively, who tallied 24 points and a lone steal. Adding on, Williams added six 3-pointers. Johnston-Odom ended his night with 22 points, six assists and three steals.
Tonight's 142 points marks the highest scored by the Vipers all season. In addition, the 142 points allowed by the Wolves marked their most allowed to an opponent all season.
The Vipers will travel to Memphis next to take on the Hustle on Tuesday, February 26. Tipoff will be at 7:00 p.m. (CST). For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Johnson Scores 28, Gray Finishes with Triple Double for Mad Ants at Windy City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Clippers' Long-Range Shooting Overwhelms Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Walter Lemon's Triple-Double Leads Windy City to a 119-112 Victory over Divison Rival Fort Wayne - Windy City Bulls
- Stars Mount 25-Point Comeback to Earn Road Win - Salt Lake City Stars
- Magic Fall to Stars - Lakeland Magic
- Vipers Snap Wolves Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Maine Escapes With Win Despite 22 Blue Coats Threes - Delaware Blue Coats
- Knicks Credit Two 20-Point Scorers in Win over Drive - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Snap Wolves Three-Game Win Streak - Iowa Wolves
- Houston Rockets Sign Chris Chiozza to 10-Day Contract - Capital City Go-Go
- Canton Roars Past Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Fall to Knicks Friday Night in New York - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Ride the Wave to Victory in Erie - Canton Charge
- Dozier Wins Game at Buzzer in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Houston Rockets Sign Terrence Jones to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Atlanta Hawks' College Park NBA G League Affiliate Set to Become the Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Heat Recalls Emanuel Terry from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Houston Rockets Assign Guard Chris Chiozzo to Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Memphis Hustle to Host Final Installment of 'Dog Days of Winter' on Tuesday, February 26 at 7 p.m. - Memphis Hustle
- Wisconsin Herd to Wear Throwback-Themed Uniforms at Tonight's Game - Wisconsin Herd
- San Antonio Assigns Lonnie Walker Iv to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester, Grand Rapids Set for Friday Night Clash - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Defeats Sioux Falls Behind Eight Double-Digit Scorers - Long Island Nets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers to Host Community Pep Rally for Playoffs | March 25
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Acquire Daniel Hamilton
- Vipers Fall at Home to Salt Lake City
- Payton Ll Earns Triple-Double in Vipers Win against Sioux Falls