Walleye Celebrate Hockey Heritage Night During Opening Weekend
TOLEDO, OH - The Walleye will kick off the 2019-20 season by celebrating Toledo's rich hockey history during Opening Weekend. On Sunday, November 3, the team will recognize former Toledo hockey players from the Walleye, Storm and Goaldiggers during Hockey Heritage Night.
The Walleye will also announce the nominees for the 5th Toledo Hockey Hall of Fame Class that will be inducted during Walleye Winterfest 2020. Fans will have the opportunity to vote for the fifth class during the upcoming season.
The 2019-20 season will be a transitional period for the Hall of Fame event.
"Since the inception of the Hall of Fame in 2016, our goal was to recognize the influencers in our hockey history," said Dan Saevig, Toledo Hockey Hall of Fame chairman. "We have laid a solid foundation. Twenty esteemed men are now in the Toledo Hockey Hall of Fame. The event has grown each year, with our largest taking place during the 2019 All-Star game with over 1,000 attendees. To ensure we continue at this high level, the prestigious ceremony will now be held every other year."
Toledo has always been known for its love-affair with hockey, dating back nearly 75 years with its first professional team, The Mercurys. The Walleye will continue to celebrate Hockey Heritage Night every season but put a larger emphasis on the seasons that include a Hall of Fame class induction.
The Toledo Hockey Hall of Fame was established in 2016. The nomination and subsequent selection of candidates is determined by the Toledo Hockey Hall of Fame committee, made up of former coaches, players team historians and media, with input from Toledo hockey fans.
Your defending Western Conference Champion Toledo Walleye return to the Huntington Center on Saturday, November 2 and Sunday, November 3, for their 2019-20 Home Opening weekend. Last season Toledo sold-out 31 of 36 regular season games averaging more than 7,700 fans per game. Don't miss any of the exciting action! Opening Weekend tickets, single game tickets and FINatic memberships are on sale now. Call 419-725-9255, online at www.toledowalleye.com, or visit the Huntington Center box office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 4, 2019
- Komets Win Wild One in Overtime to Open Preseason - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavs Drop Preseason Exhibition to Allen in OT, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Miscues Cost Swamp Rabbits in Preseason Opener - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Rally Falls Short in Preseason Opener - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Skate by Greenvile in Preseason Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Feast on Wings in Preseason Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Offensive Third Period Propels Indy Past the Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Royals and Thunder Duke It out in 3rd, ADK Takes It in OT - Reading Royals
- Thunder Knock off Royals in Overtime, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lineups Announced for "Black and White Intrasquad Game" - Rapid City Rush
- Rays Announce Training Camp Roster Updates - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Announce Training Camp Roster Adjustments - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Celebrate Hockey Heritage Night During Opening Weekend - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Announce Schedule Updates - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Sam Kurker Agrees to Terms with Indy - Indy Fuel
- Rush Receive Reinforcements from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Announce Schedule Updates - Orlando Solar Bears
- Former Maverick Carter Verhaeghe Makes NHL Debut with Tampa Bay Lightning - Kansas City Mavericks
- Schedule Announced for ECHL.TV Showcase Game on Facebook Watch - ECHL
- Forward Conor Riley Makes Return to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.