Royals and Thunder Duke It out in 3rd, ADK Takes It in OT
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals and Adirondack Thunder combined for 12 third-period infractions, Ralph Cuddemi scored his first Royals goal and Adirondack's Ara Nazerian potted the overtime-winning goal with 2:13 left, sending the Thunder to a 3-2 win Friday at Santander Arena.
Cuddemi and defenseman Eric Knodel (PPG) scored in the opening frame and the Royals led, 2-1, after one. Knodel hammered the puck from the right point to best Eamon MacAdam (win, 36 saves)
Kirill Ustimenko started for the Royals and blocked 28 shots (OTL).
The Royals are on the road for their first home preseason game at Adirondack on mixlr.com/readingroyals Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
The first Royals' home game on Oct. 19 vs. Maine features a massive block party, games, food, drinks and a special "Downtown Alive" concert on Penn Street before the home opener.
Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
Cuddemi scores in first Santander Arena
At 19:20 of the first period, Ralph Cuddemi shoveled home a slot pass from Steven Swavely to give the Royals a 2-1 advantage through 20. The strike came 1:15 after Adirondack's Waked tied the game at one.
Cuddemi is entering his 4th professional season; the Royals acquired the Concord, ON native from Wichita for future considerations in September. He scored 22 goals and 50 points for Adirondack last season.
Twenty-year-old rookie Kirill Ustimenko arrived in Reading for his first practice Thursday and played a perfect second period with 11 saves. The effort allowed the Royals to take a 2-1 lead into the third frame. His top save of that frame came net front at the right post on Craig Martin. Ustimenko snared the puck with his glove, denying a rebound.
The Gomel, Belarus native signed an entry-level contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in May 2019 after playing in the MHL (Russia) last season.
How bout the boys throwing 'em
At 8:19 of the third in a line brawl, three separate fights broke out, leading to a five-minute power play for Adirondack. Reading killed off that major assessed against Jimmy Mazza and were 5-for-5 on the man up. The squads combined for 83 penalty minutes.
Garrett Mitchell, Brayden Low and Hayden Hodgson all dropped their gloves in the last half of the third. Reading went 1-for-3 on the man up.
Reading's new five-game mini-plan includes a meal for every game, a Reading Royals Hat, an exclusive fan experience, an autographed team picture and a guaranteed giveaway for each of the 5 games. Purchase your seat or seats today by calling 610-898-7825 or by visiting https://bit.ly/2LSHBp8.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 4, 2019
- Komets Win Wild One in Overtime to Open Preseason - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavs Drop Preseason Exhibition to Allen in OT, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Miscues Cost Swamp Rabbits in Preseason Opener - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Rally Falls Short in Preseason Opener - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Skate by Greenvile in Preseason Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Feast on Wings in Preseason Opener - Toledo Walleye
- Offensive Third Period Propels Indy Past the Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Royals and Thunder Duke It out in 3rd, ADK Takes It in OT - Reading Royals
- Thunder Knock off Royals in Overtime, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lineups Announced for "Black and White Intrasquad Game" - Rapid City Rush
- Rays Announce Training Camp Roster Updates - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Announce Training Camp Roster Adjustments - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Celebrate Hockey Heritage Night During Opening Weekend - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Announce Schedule Updates - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forward Sam Kurker Agrees to Terms with Indy - Indy Fuel
- Rush Receive Reinforcements from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Announce Schedule Updates - Orlando Solar Bears
- Former Maverick Carter Verhaeghe Makes NHL Debut with Tampa Bay Lightning - Kansas City Mavericks
- Schedule Announced for ECHL.TV Showcase Game on Facebook Watch - ECHL
- Forward Conor Riley Makes Return to Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.